1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A A fundamental question about research

1. yes, I do

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, I don't

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Apr 8, 2016 #1
    When you are in research behind your desk, are you using c=h=g=1?
    I think this is common now. Everyone is doing it.
    Is there anyone, who is not doing it?
    And if, why?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2016 #2

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't do it because keeping units in my calculations makes them easier for me to understand on a physical level (I either use MKS-SI units, or work on concepts independent of choice of units (as in quantum information theory)).
    But then, the theory work I do is simple enough that there isn't enough savings to be worth it.
    If I want to avoid hbar, I consider frequency and wavenumber instead of energy and momentum.

4. Apr 9, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

##c=1## always (GeV is energy, mass and momentum), ##\hbar=1## sometimes (decay widths for short-living particles in MeV), ##g=1## never (doesn't help in experimental particle physics).

5. Apr 9, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Currently, I don't but I will once I move to my next lab, where I will most likely work with the atomic units (in which ##\hbar=1##). Honestly, I don't like those inventions on unit since it makes comparison with the other result reported in papers in a different field of research indirect, and requires a calculator.

6. Apr 12, 2016 #5
    thanks for your answers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted