Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A A fundamental question about research

1. yes, I do

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, I don't

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Apr 8, 2016 #1
    When you are in research behind your desk, are you using c=h=g=1?
    I think this is common now. Everyone is doing it.
    Is there anyone, who is not doing it?
    And if, why?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2016 #2

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't do it because keeping units in my calculations makes them easier for me to understand on a physical level (I either use MKS-SI units, or work on concepts independent of choice of units (as in quantum information theory)).
    But then, the theory work I do is simple enough that there isn't enough savings to be worth it.
    If I want to avoid hbar, I consider frequency and wavenumber instead of energy and momentum.

4. Apr 9, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

##c=1## always (GeV is energy, mass and momentum), ##\hbar=1## sometimes (decay widths for short-living particles in MeV), ##g=1## never (doesn't help in experimental particle physics).

5. Apr 9, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Currently, I don't but I will once I move to my next lab, where I will most likely work with the atomic units (in which ##\hbar=1##). Honestly, I don't like those inventions on unit since it makes comparison with the other result reported in papers in a different field of research indirect, and requires a calculator.

6. Apr 12, 2016 #5
    thanks for your answers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted