A gear that i don't know its name

• Thread starter cyth0987
  • Start date
everyone know double slit experiment. my question is about second experi which chanced physics. how do we send photons one by one. which machine is used for that and can i get it from somewhere thanks for your answers

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A very weak source of light will do that!

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I wonder if two polarizers placed nearly 90 degrees apart would reduce a light source to nearly single photons?

okay we never know a weak source disseminate how much photon and i think it disseminates millions of it. i am waiting for another answers

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
okay we never know a weak source disseminate how much photon and i think it disseminates millions of it. i am waiting for another answers
Uhh, what?

256bits
Gold Member
The source could be turned down low enough so the emmision is practically single photons.As they say in Wikipedia,
A low-intensity double-slit experiment was first performed by G. Taylor in 1909,[6] by reducing the level of incident light until photon emission/absorption events were mostly nonoverlapping. A double-slit experiment was not performed with anything other than light until 1961, when Clauss Jönsson of the University of Tübingen performed it with electrons.[7][8] In 2002, Jönsson's double-slit experiment was voted "the most beautiful experiment" by readers of Physics World.[9]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

okay with your answers and with a few site, i've realized that experi had performed with a very weak source so we have another questions now.
1- can i use every screen for this exp. my cellphone, my telly etc.
2- how can i decrease photons density till i reach one photon

Last edited:
any answer??