A general question about quantum physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of quantum physics and its relevance to the study of the historical development of the atom model. Participants mention that while quantum physics may be confusing, understanding the basics of Bohr's model, which uses quantum ideas, should be sufficient for this study. They also recommend further resources, such as Griffiths book, and caution against getting caught up in historical misconceptions. The conversation ends with a suggestion to study modern theory first before delving into the history of quantum physics.
elia gomez
hello,
I have come across "quantum physics" during the curriculum of an Inorganic chemistry course. and since the topic is too broad, I'm confused a bit about what exactly do I need to know ( or to which extent should I learn about this theory). we are studying the historical development of the atom model , and quantum mechanics comes along as the reason to why Bohr's model was no longer accepted. my question is what would be enough to know about the theory , to serve this study aim ( the development of the atom model).
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum physics is confusing because it is radically different way of thinking from the classical particle model of anything. But the Bohr's model which uses quantum ideas to generate a semi-classical model of atoms should be sufficient. basic idea that there are allowed states and not allowed states and their number including the spin quantum number of electron.

Hi elia gomez, you could have a look at

The Bohr Model (clickable overview, HyperPhysics) and Failures of the Bohr Model (HyperPhysics).

Furthermore, the Bohr model could not account for e.g. 1) the emission spectra (i.e. the energy levels) of more complex atoms and 2) the fine structure (small splittings of spectral lines). Also, the Pauli exclusion principle is an important concept which was formulated more than ten years after the Bohr model.

elia gomez said:
my question is what would be enough to know about the theory , to serve this study aim ( the development of the atom model).

For chemistry Griffiths book is often used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9332542899/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I wouldn't worry much about the historical development stuff. It was basically inspired intuition - interesting from a historical viewpoint but things have moved on a lot since then. Best not to be confused by some of the misconceptions of the early pioneers, some of which still hang about even now and confuse people eg the so called wave particle duality which was consigned to the dusbin of history when Dirac came up with his transformation theory at the end of 1926. It however still hangs about and confuses people:
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0609163

If the history really interests you, and it is indeed interesting, best to study the modern theory first so you have the correct basics in place.

Here is a synopses of later developments leading up to Diracs transformation theory:
http://www.lajpe.org/may08/09_Carlos_Madrid.pdf

Thanks
Bill

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles interact with each other and with energy to form the building blocks of our universe.

2. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum physics that states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with absolute certainty. This means that there will always be some degree of uncertainty in our measurements of these properties.

3. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in a way that their states are dependent on each other, even when separated by large distances. This means that if a change is made to one particle, the other particles will be affected instantaneously.

4. What is superposition?

Superposition is a principle in quantum physics that states that a particle can exist in multiple states or locations at the same time. This is in contrast to classical physics, where a particle can only have one definite state or location.

5. How is quantum physics relevant to everyday life?

Quantum physics plays a role in many everyday technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also helps us understand the behavior of materials, such as semiconductors, and the functioning of electronic devices. Additionally, many scientists believe that quantum computing has the potential to revolutionize the way we process information in the future.