1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A- in Quantum 1 for GRAD school application.

1. Dec 19, 2013 #1
    So I took quantum I using Griffith's and I only got an A- 3.7 out of 4. Will that look bad on my grad school application considering I'm competing with people who got A in quantum. I plan on getting into a PHD program and getting a Stipend. My overall GPA is like a 3.78.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2013 #2
    Yeah, you should probably give up on life. Getting a A- is a terrible disaster!!

\end sarcasm

It's not a big deal.

4. Dec 19, 2013 #3
    Seriously? I think you'll be okay :rolleyes:

5. Dec 19, 2013 #4
    I know it sounds silly but it's my first non A in a core required physics class.

6. Dec 19, 2013 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I got an A+ in general relativity, my chances of grad school are ruined because I didn't get an A++ so I sympathize with you.

7. Dec 19, 2013 #6
    Even if it were a big deal (which it is not), there really is no point in worrying. You cannot change it.

8. Dec 19, 2013 #7

HayleySarg

Gold Member

I'd also advise you, that PhysicsGRE's profiles are often over-inflated since people with lower stats that are not applying to T1 schools are less likely to post.

You're certain fine, especially if you have research experience, a strong SOP, and recommendations.

9. Dec 19, 2013 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

First, the answer is "it's worse than an A and better than a B, and there is no way to read the minds of the committee - but we're talking about only 3% of the classes that you will have taken."

Second, this comes across less as asking for advice and more as bragging.

10. Dec 19, 2013 #9
    At least neither of you got an A--.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook