1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A learn's puzzle on transformation equation

1. Aug 24, 2010 #1
    Hi, I'm a new learner of CM and I was stuck at the very beginning. TT
    The transformation equation is ri=ri(q1,q2,...,qn,t)
    I wonder why t should be in the bracket.
    Aren't r determined by these independent coordinates? Isn't t already contained in them?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Certainly the [itex]q_{i}[/itex] can have some time-dependence, and that gives [itex]r_{i}[/itex] implicit time-dependence. But, you can also choose to define some new coordinates [itex]r_{i}[/itex] with explicit dependence on time.

For example, consider a particle in 1-D motion described by [itex]x(t)=v_0t[/itex]. There is no reason you can't define a new variable [itex]q(x,t)=3x+a_0 t^2[/itex], if you have some use for that transformation.

4. Aug 25, 2010 #3
    Thanks very much for your reply!
    But how about the degrees of freedom? A system with n degrees of freedom just needs n independent coordinates. If adding t, there must be one coordinate(q1, q2,..., or t) which is dependent. :confused:

5. Aug 31, 2010 #4
    I guess that t represents the change of the constraint with time. Is it right?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook