A light, readily available glue, that can adhere metal to latex.

  • Topic: LaTeX 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DragonPetter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Latex Light Metal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 7K views
DragonPetter
Messages
831
Reaction score
1
Hello,

I have next to no materials specific knowledge, so I was hoping someone here could guide me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a spreadable adhesive that has the following properties listed by priority:
1. Can adhere metal to latex or other rubber-like materials.
2. Inexpensive
3. Is very light when dried.
4. Good surface tension when uncured/dried
5. Readily available at a store or easy to purchase in small quantities online.


Strength (holding force?) is not that important, if that is a factor.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
you sound like a chemical engineer to me, could you please give me reasons for studying chemical engineering other than the passion for chemistry, physics and maths?? thanksssss
xxx :)
 
the_day_angel said:
you sound like a chemical engineer to me
Actually, I implied the opposite when I expressed my lack of materials knowledge.
 
2 part expoxy resin - not sure about the chemical bonds etc but I have used it for anumber of my projects
 
yep a two part epoxy like Bondo or PC-7 or PC-11 may work. you canget those at any hardware store

If it needs to be a fine even layer of adhesive you can use a cheap 2 part automotive paint and spray it on with an HVLP gun between your layers

ever hear of A UV-catalyzed polymer resin? if one of the layers you are gluing together is transparent you could use something like a photo-catalyzation process rather than an epoxide type scenario
 
I did not see if you needed it to be flexible.
Another factor is surface area, the larger the area the less adhesion
you need for the same strength.
If you do not need flex, liquid nails will have something that should work.
If your part needs some strength, JB Weld. (I repaired an outboard engine block with this)