A linear operator T on a finite-dimensional vector space

In summary, a linear operator T on a finite-dimensional vector space V is diagonalizable if there is an ordered basis B for V such that [T]_B is a diagonal matrix.
jeff1evesque
Definitions: A linear operator T on a finite-dimensional vector space V is called diagonalizable if there is an ordered basis B for V such that [tex][T]_B[/tex] is a diagonal matrix. A square matrix A is called diagonalizable if [tex]L_A[/tex] is diagonalizable.

We want to determine when a linear operator T on a finite-dimensional vector space V is diagonalizable and, if so, how to obtain an ordered basis B = [tex]{v_1, v_2, ... , v_n}[/tex] for V such that [tex][T]_B[/tex] is a diagonal matrix. Note that, if D = [tex][T]_B[/tex] is a diagonal matrix, then for each vector [tex]v_j[/tex] in B, we have

[tex]T(v_j)[/tex] = [SUMMATION: from i = 1 to n][tex]D_i_jv_i[/tex] = [tex]D_j_jv_j[/tex] = [tex](lambda_j)v_j[/tex]
where (lambda_j) = Djj.

Questions: Could someone explain the following:
1. [tex]T(v_j)[/tex] = [SUMMATION: from i = 1 to n][tex]D_i_jv_i[/tex]

2. And maybe touch upon the other two equality relation in the line above.

Thanks,

JL

Physics news on Phys.org

jeff1evesque said:
Definitions: A linear operator T on a finite-dimensional vector space V is called diagonalizable if there is an ordered basis B for V such that [tex][T]_B[/tex] is a diagonal matrix. A square matrix A is called diagonalizable if [tex]L_A[/tex] is diagonalizable.

We want to determine when a linear operator T on a finite-dimensional vector space V is diagonalizable and, if so, how to obtain an ordered basis B = [tex]{v_1, v_2, ... , v_n}[/tex] for V such that [tex][T]_B[/tex] is a diagonal matrix. Note that, if D = [tex][T]_B[/tex] is a diagonal matrix, then for each vector [tex]v_j[/tex] in B, we have

[tex]T(v_j)[/tex] = [SUMMATION: from i = 1 to n][tex]D_i_jv_i[/tex] = [tex]D_j_jv_j[/tex] = [tex](lambda_j)v_j[/tex]
where (lambda_j) = Djj.

Questions: Could someone explain the following:
1. [tex]T(v_j)[/tex] = [SUMMATION: from i = 1 to n][tex]D_i_jv_i[/tex]

2. And maybe touch upon the other two equality relation in the line above.

T is a linear operator mapping from V to V. So for each element [tex]v_j[/tex] of the basis, you can represent [tex]T(v_j)[/tex] uniquely as a linear combination of [tex]\{v_1,\ldots,v_n\}[/tex]. The coefficients of that linear combination are precisely the elements of the j'th column of [tex][T]_B[/tex].

[tex]T(v_j) = \sum_{i=1}^{n} D_{ij} v_i[/tex]

expresses exactly what I wrote above: on the right hand side we are holding j (the column index) fixed, and summing over i (the row index).

Now, if the matrix is diagonal, only one of the [tex]D_{ij}[/tex]'s in a given column is nonzero, which is why the next equality is true:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n} D_{ij} v_i = D_{jj}v_j[/tex]

So now you have the fact that

[tex]T(v_j) = D_{jj} v_j[/tex]

Since [tex]v_j \neq 0[/tex] (because it is an element of a basis), this equality says precisely that [tex]D_{jj}[/tex] is an eigenvalue of T, and [tex]v_j[/tex] is a corresponding eigenvector. Thus the suggestive [tex]\lambda_j[/tex] in place of [tex]D_{jj}[/tex] in the last equality.

A linear operator, L, (and its associated matrix) is diagonalizable if and only if there is a basis for the space consisting entirely of eigenvectors of L. In that case we can 'diagonalize' L by D= P-1LP where P is the matrix having the eigenvectors of L as columns and D is the diagonal matrix having the eigenvalues of L on its main diagonal.

Thanks for the clarification. Now I have to try to commit this to memory.

JL

1. What is a linear operator?

A linear operator is a mathematical function that maps elements from one vector space to another, while preserving the operations of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What is a finite-dimensional vector space?

A finite-dimensional vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors and a set of operations, such as addition and scalar multiplication, that can be applied to those vectors. The dimension of a vector space is the number of vectors in a basis for that space.

3. How is a linear operator represented?

A linear operator can be represented by a matrix when the vector spaces involved are finite-dimensional. The columns of the matrix represent the images of the basis vectors under the operator.

4. What are some common examples of linear operators?

Some common examples of linear operators include differentiation and integration operators in calculus, rotation and reflection operators in linear algebra, and Fourier transform operators in signal processing.

5. What is the significance of a linear operator on a finite-dimensional vector space?

The study of linear operators on finite-dimensional vector spaces is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including linear algebra, differential equations, and quantum mechanics. Linear operators allow us to model and analyze real-world systems and phenomena in a mathematically rigorous way.