A Masters in Physics after a Bachelor's in Enginnering

In summary, the 3rd year student plans to pursue a PhD in Physics and has a GPA of 7.45 on 10. He plans to take an experimental project next semester and an elective on Chaos. He attends Physics classes and is currently attending Mathematical Methods and Quantum Physics. He will attend EMT and Quantum 2 next semester and his odds of admission with financial aid are good.
A1D1S

Hello all,

This is my first and probably the most important post, I am a 3rd year student of Mechanical Engineering at BITS Pilani, India. However, my primary interests lie in Physics, please do not ask why my major is in Engineering then, it is a long story.

I will make my current position clear, I have a GPA of 7.45 on 10 which is a bit low I know, I did a course Theory of Relativity last semester and fared well in it, I am now pursuing a study project on the same. I plan to take an experimental project next semester along with an elective on Chaos.

Our college has an optional attendance policy, owing to which I attend Physics classes, I am currently attending Mathematical Methods and Quantum Physics. I will attend EMT and Quantum 2 next semester, of course it won't show on my final transcript.

The Physics department knows me well and I can get decent recommendations.

I plan on writing the TIFR exam in India and applying to some universities in US, Canada and Germany.
Could anyone give me advice on my odds of admission with some financial aid, I am very sure I will pursue a PhD as well. Would working at a scientific institution like ISRO or BARC , or maybe a research assistant somewhere increase my odds, for I really do not mind working an year or 2 after graduation. Would the AGRE exam help ? It seems manageable.

In case someone has gone through something similar or met people in the graduate department from engineering backgrounds please help.
I am really in quite a confused state, kindly help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is one suggestion:
Don't apply to an institution for a master's program in Physics if there is a PhD program there---apply to the PhD program... you get your master's degree along the way. (In my opinion, applying to the master's program there would put you at a disadvantage.)

Thanks for the reply robphy, I was thinking on similar lines.
Would you mind answering some of the other questions or maybe direct me to someone who could ?

Is there an equivalent to the physics GRE in India? That's really what physics graduate schools in the US use as a metric.

lisab I can give the Advanced GRE exam or the PGRE from a centre in India

1. What is the difference between a Bachelor's in Engineering and a Master's in Physics?

A Bachelor's in Engineering typically focuses on the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and build structures, systems, and processes. A Master's in Physics, on the other hand, delves deeper into the fundamental laws and theories of physics and their applications in various fields.

2. Can I pursue a Master's in Physics with a Bachelor's in Engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master's in Physics with a Bachelor's in Engineering. However, it may require some additional coursework to bridge the gap between the two fields, depending on the specific program and university.

3. What career opportunities are available with a Master's in Physics after a Bachelor's in Engineering?

A Master's in Physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities, including research and development positions in industries such as aerospace, energy, and telecommunications. It can also lead to careers in academia, teaching, and government agencies.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a Master's in Physics after a Bachelor's in Engineering?

The duration of a Master's in Physics program can vary depending on the university and program structure. On average, it takes 2-3 years to complete a Master's degree after a Bachelor's in Engineering.

5. What skills and knowledge can I expect to gain from a Master's in Physics after a Bachelor's in Engineering?

A Master's in Physics can provide you with a strong foundation in advanced mathematical and theoretical concepts, as well as practical skills in experimental design, data analysis, and problem-solving. It can also help develop critical thinking, communication, and research skills, which are highly valued in various industries.