A mechanical toy vehicle (w/o electronic)

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a launching/propelling system to launch a small wheeled vehicle for a school project. The problem is getting the vehicle to turn at a certain point without using any type of motor. Various options were suggested, such as using wind-up motors or rigging oven timers, but the specifics of the project, including the type of vehicle, budget, and distance and direction of turns, were not provided.
Umori
Using some kind of launching/propelling system to launch a vehicle (toy size)...
The problem is getting the vehicle to turn at a certain point to avoid the obstruction w/o using any type of motor.
I've tried to look into zigzag patterns, but they all require electronic motors w/ gear shafts.. but i need something that's not motorized.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Vehicle? Land sea or air? Budget? Ten dollars or ten thousand?

I'll assume a small wheeled vehicle for a school project.
Does the distance after which it needs to turn change?
Does the direction it needs to turn change?
How many turns does it need to make?
Electronic motors can be replaced with wind ups. Oven timers can be rigged to engage other mechanisms. strings that wind around driven axles can pull a pin or sim. after a set distance. A wind up motor and a crank to the steering axle is an easy way to get zigzagging. There are many other paths to go down depending on budget and application

Likes Umori
billy_joule said:
Vehicle? Land sea or air? Budget? Ten dollars or ten thousand?

I'll assume a small wheeled vehicle for a school project.
Does the distance after which it needs to turn change?
Does the direction it needs to turn change?
How many turns does it need to make?
Electronic motors can be replaced with wind ups. Oven timers can be rigged to engage other mechanisms. strings that wind around driven axles can pull a pin or sim. after a set distance. A wind up motor and a crank to the steering axle is an easy way to get zigzagging. There are many other paths to go down depending on budget and application
Budget: no more than 150. Distance is around 9-12 meters (straight path) with an small obstruction being at midway range. The toy vehicle must stay within 2 meter width of the path.

Your requirements are too vague for me to offer any more advice, good luck.

1. How does a mechanical toy vehicle work?

A mechanical toy vehicle uses a series of gears, wheels, and axles to transfer energy from a source, such as a wind-up mechanism or a motor, to the wheels. This allows the vehicle to move forward or backward.

2. Can I assemble or disassemble the toy vehicle myself?

It depends on the specific toy vehicle. Some may come with instructions for assembly or disassembly, while others may be more complex and require professional assistance. It is always best to consult the manufacturer's instructions before attempting to assemble or disassemble a mechanical toy vehicle.

3. How durable are mechanical toy vehicles?

The durability of a mechanical toy vehicle depends on the materials used and the quality of construction. Generally, metal parts are more durable than plastic, and well-made vehicles should be able to withstand regular play without breaking easily.

4. Are mechanical toy vehicles safe for children?

Mechanical toy vehicles can be safe for children, but it is important to supervise younger children while they are playing with them. Some parts may be small and pose a choking hazard, and children should be taught how to properly handle and play with the toy vehicle.

5. Can I modify a mechanical toy vehicle to make it go faster?

It is not recommended to modify a mechanical toy vehicle, as it can affect its performance and potentially make it unsafe to use. If you are interested in a faster toy vehicle, it is best to purchase one specifically designed for speed rather than attempting to modify an existing one.