A motorist avoiding hitting a deer

• Thread starter hsbc2003
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the maximum reaction time of a motorist traveling at 17 m/s to avoid hitting a deer 45 m ahead, given a maximum negative acceleration of -7 m/s^2. Using the equation X(t)= X (initial)+ V*t + 0.5*a*t^2, the motorist must travel a distance of 45 m to avoid hitting the deer. This results in a maximum reaction time of 1.71654 seconds. To find the final velocity when reaching the deer, we can use the same equation and plug in the values of X (initial) = 0, V = 17 m/s, a = -7 m/s^2, and t = 1
hsbc2003

Homework Statement

Part 1:
A motorist is traveling at 17 m/s when he sees a deer in the road 45 m ahead.
If the maximum negative acceleration of vehicle is -7 m/s^2, what is the maximum reaction time (deltat) of the motorist that will allow him to avoid hitting the deer? Answer in units of s.

Part 2:
If his reaction time is 1.71654 s, how fast will he be traveling when he reaches the deer? Answer in units of m/s.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use this equation: X(t)= X (initial)+ V*t + 0.5*a*t^2
but it does not work and I stopped
I can not think of a method to solve it

Please help

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh deer!

hsbc2003 said:
A motorist is traveling at 17 m/s …

hi hsbc2003! :smile:

Hint: Start by working out how far he travels between starting to brake and coming to rest.

Everything else should then become clear. :smile:

for reaching out for help with this problem. I understand the importance of finding a solution to a problem and I am happy to assist you.

For Part 1, we can use the kinematic equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, the final velocity would be 0 m/s (since the motorist wants to come to a stop to avoid hitting the deer), the initial velocity is 17 m/s, and the acceleration is -7 m/s^2. We can rearrange the equation to solve for time: t = (v - u)/a. Plugging in the values, we get t = (0 - 17)/-7 = 2.43 s.

Therefore, the maximum reaction time of the motorist that will allow him to avoid hitting the deer is 2.43 seconds.

For Part 2, we can use the same kinematic equation, v = u + at, but this time we are solving for the final velocity. We know that the initial velocity is 17 m/s, the acceleration is still -7 m/s^2, and the time is given as 1.71654 s. Plugging in the values, we get v = 17 + (-7)(1.71654) = 4.82 m/s.

Therefore, when the motorist reaches the deer, he will be traveling at a speed of 4.82 m/s.

I hope this helps and feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or need clarification. Keep up the good work as a scientist!

1. How common is it for motorists to hit deer while driving?

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there are an estimated 1.5 million deer-vehicle collisions in the United States each year. This averages out to about one collision every 26 seconds.

2. What should I do if I encounter a deer while driving?

If you see a deer in the road, the best course of action is to slow down and honk your horn to try and scare the deer away. If the deer does not move, do not swerve to avoid it. Instead, brake firmly and stay in your lane to minimize the risk of a collision with other vehicles or objects on the road.

3. How can I reduce my chances of hitting a deer while driving?

One way to reduce your chances of hitting a deer is to be extra cautious during peak deer activity times, which are typically dawn and dusk. You can also use your high beams when driving in rural areas to increase your visibility and watch for deer crossing signs along the road.

4. What should I do if I hit a deer while driving?

If you hit a deer, safely pull over to the side of the road and turn on your hazard lights. Do not approach the injured deer, as it may become aggressive. Contact the local authorities to report the accident and follow their instructions for next steps.

5. Are there any safety features in cars that can help prevent collisions with deer?

Some newer car models are equipped with advanced safety features such as automatic emergency braking and collision avoidance systems, which can help prevent or mitigate collisions with deer. However, these features should not replace cautious and attentive driving when encountering deer on the road.