Driving towards a deer; Constant

• Thread starter burton95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the question is asking for the maximum initial speed a car can have in order to avoid hitting a deer that jumps out 100 meters ahead of the car while traveling at a speed limit of 70 mph. Using the constant motion equations and given information, an initial speed of 31.2861 m/s would allow the car to come to a stop within 100 meters while accelerating at -5 m/s.
burton95

Homework Statement

driving down K10 highway (70 mph speed limit, this info is not given) one night a deer jumps out in front of you at a distance of 100 m. You don't notice for 1.5 s. As you are skidding towards the deer your acceleration is -5 m/s. What is the max initial speed you could have had to avoid hitting the deer?

Homework Equations

Constant motion equations

The Attempt at a Solution

70 mph = 31.2861 m/s

1.5 * 31.2861 = 46.9292 meters traveled b/w deer jumping in front of car and when I hit the brakes.

100-46.9292 = 53.0708 Meters to slow to a velocity of 0

a= -5 m/s2.

V0 = 31.2861 m/s

Δx = 0 - 53.0708 = -53.0708 m

vf= 0

So what max speed will allow my vf→0 over -53.0708 meters at an acceleration of -5 m/s. I have only calculated numbers greater than my v0

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind I got it. Thanks anyway

What is "Driving towards a deer; Constant"?

Driving towards a deer; Constant is a scenario in which a driver is approaching a deer on the road at a constant speed.

Why is it important to be cautious when driving towards a deer at a constant speed?

It is important to be cautious when driving towards a deer at a constant speed because it increases the likelihood of a collision with the deer. Deer can be unpredictable and may suddenly dart onto the road, so it is important to be prepared to brake or swerve if necessary.

What should I do if I encounter a deer while driving at a constant speed?

If you encounter a deer while driving at a constant speed, you should slow down and try to come to a stop. If the deer is in the road, do not swerve to avoid it as this may cause you to lose control of your vehicle. Instead, honk your horn and flash your lights to try to scare the deer away. If the deer does not move, slowly drive around it when it is safe to do so.

What are some precautions I can take to prevent a collision with a deer while driving at a constant speed?

To prevent a collision with a deer while driving at a constant speed, you can take several precautions such as staying alert and scanning the road ahead for potential hazards, especially in wooded or rural areas where deer are more likely to be present. You can also use your high beams when driving at night to increase your visibility and give you more time to react if a deer appears on the road.

What should I do if I hit a deer while driving at a constant speed?

If you hit a deer while driving at a constant speed, the first thing you should do is pull over to a safe place on the side of the road. Check yourself and any passengers for injuries and call for medical assistance if needed. Then, call the police to report the accident and any damage to your vehicle. It is important to avoid approaching the deer, as it may still be alive and could potentially cause harm to you or your vehicle.