A muon enters a lithium battery....

In summary: In the cold fusion literature there was an article on an experiment by the USNavy that showed pitting of an electrode presumably caused by DD fusion. The...
x_engineer
Just wondering what would happen if a muon entered the LiH dense environment of a lithium battery. Could it explain the instances of spontaneous combustion of the battery in electric vehicles?

Li + H => He

Physics news on Phys.org
x_engineer said:
Just wondering what would happen if a muon entered the LiH dense environment of a lithium battery. Could it explain the instances of spontaneous combustion of the battery in electric vehicles?

Li + H => He
The reaction your propose looks like fusion to me. At room temperature, I don't think that the Li and H nucleons are hot enough and confined long enough for a fusion reaction to occur. What makes you think that the presence of a muon would trigger such a reaction? Do you have a theory or are you just speculating?

kuruman said:
The reaction your propose looks like fusion to me. At room temperature, I don't think that the Li and H nucleons are hot enough and confined long enough for a fusion reaction to occur. What makes you think that the presence of a muon would trigger such a reaction? Do you have a theory or are you just speculating?
And even if it possibly did it would not be enough to start a chain reaction of generate much heat. I think if one pumped the highest energy muon beam made today into a battery it would not even heat up. Given the world's strongest muon beam here;

https://journals.aps.org/prab/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevAccelBeams.20.030101

We get ##4 x10^8## muons per second @60Mev which dumps about 6 milliJoules of energy into the battery. One high energy muon at 10 Gev would be a few nanoJoules.

Likes sophiecentaur
bob012345 said:
You get 4108 muons per second @60Mev which dumps about 6 milliJoules of energy into your battery per second One high energy muon at 10 Gev would be a few nanoJoules.
red annotation is mine. Units

Likes bob012345
But the original question was if an event could theoretically trigger a reaction or cascade of events that might lead to failure. It would be wrong to say absolutely not but I think it is highly unlikely.

Likes x_engineer
Yes. And in fact the question depends upon the likelihood of the next steps in the chain which depends upon lots of stuff. Of course the theoretitions sometimes get it wrong. Castle Bravo should be a bit of a cautionary tale for us all.

Likes russ_watters and bob012345
bob012345 said:
But the original question was if an event could theoretically trigger a reaction or cascade of events that might lead to failure. It would be wrong to say absolutely not but I think it is highly unlikely.
That is exactly the question i was asking.

There is a phenomenon called "muon catalyzed fusion". If a muon wandered into LiH at the density of the electrode surface of a charging battery, could it cause enough localized heating to cause a short that can then result in an explosion/fire driven by the chemical energy stored in the battery?

Last edited by a moderator:
x_engineer said:
That is exactly the question i was asking.

There is a phenomenon called "muon catalyzed fusion". If a muon wandered into LiH at the density of the electrode surface of a charging battery, could it cause enough localized heating to cause a short that can then result in an explosion/fire driven by the chemical energy stored in the battery?

Niket Patwardhan
Well, that is an interesting question but still unlikely as there would probably not be enough muons or D isotopes around to continue the reactions. I am familiar with Muon Catalyzed Fusion. There was an interesting Scientific American article about that in the July 1987 issue by Rafelski and Jones which I have kept on my coffee table ever since. Strangely and perhaps unfortunately, the article was called Cold Nuclear Fusion but it actually worked. That process used muons with Deuterium and Tritium at room temperature whereby the muon replaced an electron in a DT molecule bringing the nuclei closer together. What path would you suggest in this case?

I think there are enough mechanisms which are understood that are are much more likely to destabilize a Lithium battery.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
bob012345 said:
Well, that is an interesting question but still unlikely as there would probably not be enough muons or D isotopes around to continue the reactions. I am familiar with Muon Catalyzed Fusion. There was an interesting Scientific American article about that in the July 1987 issue by Rafelski and Jones which I have kept on my coffee table ever since. Strangely and perhaps unfortunately, the article was called Cold Nuclear Fusion but it actually worked. That process used muons with Deuterium and Tritium at room temperature whereby the muon replaced an electron in a DT molecule bringing the nuclei closer together. What path would you suggest in this case?
In the cold fusion literature there was an article on an experiment by the USNavy that showed pitting of an electrode presumably caused by DD fusion. The current theory of why lithium batteries ignite during charging is the formation of a metal microspike that shorts the electrodes. If a muon wanders into LiH at solid density it is practically guaranteed to cause at least one fusion as the Coulomb barrier is eliminated; I guess the question boils down to whether it will remain local enough to cause a micromelt incident due to additional fusions within the small volume.

In the wild muons generally come from cosmic ray showers.

Likes bob012345
Lithium battery failure modes are pretty well understood. The vast majority of shorts occur because of dendrite formation: as the battery is cycled between charged and discharged, lithium metal begins plating out on the electrode surfaces, forming long thin metallic crystals. Once the crystals bridge the gap between the electrodes, a large fraction of the battery’s energy is dumped very quickly, leading to catastrophic failure of the battery.

• Informative
Likes Nugatory, x_engineer, russ_watters and 2 others
x_engineer said:
In the cold fusion literature
Did you find that in the Science Fiction section?

A muon passes through your head every second. If they caused some sort of "chain reaction" (how exactly? It's not like fission where you release more neutrons that can initiate more fissions) we'd see that already with existing batteries.

• Wow
Likes bob012345 and berkeman
Oops. Looks like I stepped on touchy doodoo by saying the words "cold fusion".together.

• Skeptical
  • Sad
Likes Vanadium 50, weirdoguy and Motore
x_engineer said:
Oops. Looks like I stepped on touchy doodoo by saying the words "cold fusion".
Well, the forum rules do specifically prohibit discussion of cold fusion, and you did promise to respect those rules when you signed up, so….

Likes russ_watters
x_engineer said:
looks like I stepped on touchy doodoo
Using known crackpottery (prohibited by forum rules) to support your own personal theory (also prohibited by forum rules) gets people cross, yes.

But if there is "doodoo" around, I ask, who brought it?

Likes Astronuc and berkeman
I think this thread is concluded.

Based on the dates I thought the chain reaction fizzled out months ago...

• Love
Likes jim mcnamara, Bystander and kuruman

1. How does a muon enter a lithium battery?

A muon can enter a lithium battery through a process called muon catalyzed fusion. This occurs when a muon, which is a subatomic particle, interacts with the lithium atoms in the battery, causing them to fuse and release energy.

2. What happens when a muon enters a lithium battery?

When a muon enters a lithium battery, it can cause a chain reaction of fusion reactions, leading to the release of a large amount of energy. This energy can be harnessed and used to power devices.

3. Can a muon damage a lithium battery?

In most cases, a muon will not damage a lithium battery. However, if the muon enters the battery at a high velocity, it can cause disruptions in the battery's structure and potentially damage it.

4. How long does a muon stay in a lithium battery?

The amount of time a muon stays in a lithium battery can vary, but on average it will remain in the battery for a few microseconds. During this time, it can cause multiple fusion reactions before eventually decaying.

5. Can muons be used to improve lithium battery technology?

Yes, muons have been studied as a potential way to improve lithium battery technology. By understanding how muons interact with lithium atoms, scientists can potentially develop more efficient and longer lasting batteries.