New battery technlogy (John Goodenough)

• Thread starter CWatters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary: On the skepticism surrounding the Goodenough battery:There has been much skepticism surrounding the Goodenough battery, with some experts doubting whether or not it is possible to actually achieve the claimed results. Critics of the paper point out that if the battery is able to strip lithium from the anode and plate it on a cathode current collector, then this would violate the laws of thermodynamics, which state that perpetual motion is not possible. However, Goodenough has responded to these criticisms by stating that if the lithium plated on the cathode current collector is thin enough for its reaction with the current collector to have its Fermi energy lowered to that of the current collector, the Fermi energy of the lithium anode is higher
CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This caught my eye recently. Sorry If it's already been discussed but I couldn't find a previous thread.

https://news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/goodenough-introduces-new-battery-technology

Lithium-Ion Battery Inventor Introduces New Technology for Fast-Charging, Noncombustible Batteries

AUSTIN, Texas — A team of engineers led by 94-year-old John Goodenough, professor in the Cockrell School of Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin and co-inventor of the lithium-ion battery, has developed the first all-solid-state battery cells that could lead to safer, faster-charging, longer-lasting rechargeable batteries for handheld mobile devices, electric cars and stationary energy storage.

Goodenough’s latest breakthrough, completed with Cockrell School senior research fellow Maria Helena Braga, is a low-cost all-solid-state battery that is noncombustible and has a long cycle life (battery life) with a high volumetric energy density and fast rates of charge and discharge. The engineers describe their new technology in a recent paper published in the journal Energy & Environmental Science.

but then also I've seen..

https://qz.com/929794/has-lithium-battery-genius-john-goodenough-done-it-again-colleagues-are-skeptical/

...other leading battery researchers are skeptical, even mystified, by Goodenough’s claim. For his invention to work as described, they say, it would probably have to abandon the laws of thermodynamics, which say perpetual motion is not possible.

Not being a chemist can someone point me to a discussion on the issues. Why do some people think it shouldn't be possible?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I was actually thinking about starting a thread on this myself.

CWatters: To follow up on your original post: the basic argument by the critics is that if you're taking lithium (or sodium) on one side, and transferring it to the other side, then you're not doing any work; you've just moved it. You could just scrape it off the cathode, put it back on the anode, and voila, recharged!

The possible hole I immediately saw with that argument is that you have to be able to state that being plated on the cathode is not a lower energy state - that you actually can just "remove" it without doing work, that its presence plated on the surface isn't held fast by intermolecular forces.

Goodenough responded to his critics with the following:

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...thium-ion-battery-responds-to-skepticism.html

"In this case, scientists wonder how it is possible to strip lithium from the anode and plate it on a cathode current collector to obtain a battery voltage since the voltage is the difference in the chemical potentials (Fermi energies) between the two metallic electrodes," Goodenough stated. "The answer is that if the lithium plated on the cathode current collector is thin enough for its reaction with the current collector to have its Fermi energy lowered to that of the current collector, the Fermi energy of the lithium anode is higher than that of the thin lithium plated on the cathode current collector."

As a general rule, I'm inclined to believe the peer reviewed process at Energy and Environmental Science

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

KarenRei said:
I'm inclined to believe the peer reviewed process at Energy and Environmental Science

Peer review does not mean a paper is correct.

Vanadium 50 said:
Peer review does not mean a paper is correct.

Definitely, but I read the KarenRei post as saying "I trust peer review more, than random comments on the internet". Isn't it what we teach here? :wink:

Likes ISamson
CWatters said:
...Why do some people think it shouldn't be possible?
A traditional problem with solid electrolyte batteries has been low power density relative to liquid electrolyte batteries. That is, if many times more battery versus an existing liquid li-ion is required to supply the required power (discharge rate), the increased energy density by itself won't make a good transportation battery.

Indeed, a skeptic of the paper (Steingart) finds current density of the new battery as described should be 10 to 1000 times lower than the traditional Li-ion battery.

https://medium.com/the-unfortunate-...big-deal-in-batteries-298c7ad9543a#.d63ntx4tt

Likes mheslep

1. What is the significance of John Goodenough's new battery technology?

John Goodenough's new battery technology is significant because it has the potential to greatly increase energy storage capacity and decrease charging time, leading to advancements in fields such as electric vehicles and renewable energy storage.

2. How does John Goodenough's new battery technology differ from current battery technology?

Goodenough's new battery technology uses a solid-state electrolyte, instead of the liquid or gel electrolytes found in current batteries. This allows for higher energy density and faster charging times.

3. What are the potential applications of John Goodenough's new battery technology?

The potential applications of Goodenough's new battery technology include electric vehicles, renewable energy storage, portable electronics, and even grid-scale energy storage.

4. What are the limitations or challenges of implementing John Goodenough's new battery technology?

One of the main challenges is scaling up production of the solid-state electrolyte, as well as ensuring its stability and safety. Additionally, the cost of production and integration into existing systems may also pose challenges.

5. When can we expect to see John Goodenough's new battery technology on the market?

It is difficult to predict an exact timeline, but some experts estimate that Goodenough's new battery technology may be commercially available within the next 5-10 years, depending on successful development and integration into various industries.