A new route for refugees and migrants to Europe

• News
  • Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Europe
In summary, the Norwegian government is struggling to deal with the influx of refugees and is considering ways to deal with the situation.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Some of them are now taking the long way around, into Norway via Russia, just a few miles from the Arctic Ocean. There's a catch, though. The Russians don't let them walk across the border, and the Norwegians don't let drivers bring people in who don't have the proper papers. So they ride bicycles, which are piling up on the Norwegian side of the crossing.

Seeking asylum on children's bicycles (BBC News)

In the whole of 2014 just seven asylum seekers crossed over the Storskog border crossing. In October alone there have been 1,100. Some are from Iraq, Afghanistan and Lebanon but most are from Syria.

I wonder why they don't save some time and distance by entering via Finland.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Finland has a lot harsher policy towards immigrants and refugees. The Finns party that is in the government got about 20% of the votes and they're against immigration. Finland was also one of only a few countries that voted against the refugee quotas in EU. So I imagine most refuges see Norway as a better option than Finland and especially since refugees are expected to apply for asylum in the first EU country they reach.

Incand said:
especially since refugees are expected to apply for asylum in the first EU country they reach.
That rule seems to be no longer enforced for a few months already. Also, Norway is not an EU member.

Krylov said:
That rule seems to be no longer enforced for a few months already. Also, Norway is not an EU member.
Yes it doesn't seem to be anymore but even if it ain't enforced I expect a lot of refugees heard rumours about other being stopped by police or sent back even if it's a few months earlier. Norway is however part of the Schengen agreement which I believe regulate this. But then I'm not exactly an expert on the subject so I could be wrong. I just happens to be Swedish and our news covered a lot about this lately so I thought I chime in.

Incand said:
But then I'm not exactly an expert on the subject so I could be wrong. I just happens to be Swedish and our news covered a lot about this lately so I thought I chime in.
You could be wrong, but you could also be right, I'm not sure myself. Incidentally, maybe you will appreciate the humour of this: It's about another of your neighbours.

That was quite hilarious. Especially as Denmark been advertising about their harsher policy towards immigrants to get fewer immigrants to go there. Also the Muhammad original painting I assume refer to the drawings publicised by "Jyllands posten" (but drawn by a swede) that caused so much controversy.

1. What is the new route for refugees and migrants to Europe?

The new route for refugees and migrants to Europe refers to an alternative path or method for individuals seeking asylum or immigration to European countries. This may involve different modes of transportation, entry points, or policies compared to the traditional routes that have been used in the past.

2. Why is there a need for a new route for refugees and migrants to Europe?

The need for a new route for refugees and migrants to Europe stems from the increasing number of individuals seeking asylum or immigration to Europe, combined with the challenges and dangers associated with the existing routes. This includes overcrowded and unsafe boats, human trafficking, and restrictive immigration policies.

3. Who is responsible for creating and implementing this new route?

The creation and implementation of a new route for refugees and migrants to Europe is a collaborative effort among governments, international organizations, and NGOs. This may involve negotiations and agreements between countries, as well as providing resources and support for safe and legal pathways for those seeking refuge or immigration.

4. How will the new route ensure the safety and well-being of refugees and migrants?

The new route for refugees and migrants to Europe aims to provide a safer and more secure journey for individuals seeking asylum or immigration. This may involve providing safe and legal transportation, establishing processing centers and checkpoints, and implementing fair and humane immigration policies.

5. Is the new route a long-term solution for the refugee and migrant crisis in Europe?

The new route for refugees and migrants to Europe is not a standalone solution to the ongoing crisis, but rather a step towards addressing the challenges and vulnerabilities of the existing routes. Long-term solutions may involve addressing the root causes of displacement, promoting peace and stability in conflict-affected regions, and implementing comprehensive immigration policies that prioritize the safety and well-being of refugees and migrants.