Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A nice Maple-like front end for Mathematica

1. Jan 19, 2009 #1
    **Mathematica-Maple War Ceasefire Zone**

One of the nice things about Maple 12 is the document front end which allow me to write scientific documents with paragraphing and other facilities.

Is there a similar front end for Mathematica 7?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2009 #2
    Mathematica had this ability way before Maple ever had it. For an overview of what's possible in Mathematica 7.x, check out Help -> Documentation Centre -> Notebooks and Documents.
  4. Jan 20, 2009 #3
    Thanks for that.

It appears to me that there is very little advantage or disadvantage to using either Maple or Mathematica, only personal preferences which have as much to do with which package people first encounter as anything else.
  5. Jan 20, 2009 #4
    Ultimately, I suppose that's true. That said, I personally find the newer versions of Maple, which have emphasized the interactive notebook format over the cleaner and simpler classic worksheet it used to have, to be quite painful to work with. Then again, any time I find myself needing to do computational work with tensors, Maple and grtensor are far better than anything available for Mathematica.

I guess it's simply a case of being impartial towards any particular package and simply using the right tool for the job at hand.
  6. Jan 21, 2009 #5
    Its strange that for General Relativity, Maple is better than Mathematica. Very strange
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?