Variable summation limits in Maple or similar programs

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of simplifying long and messy manipulations involving geometric series. The speaker is looking for a symbolic algebra program that can handle these calculations, specifically mentioning the programs Maple and Maxima. They also inquire about whether these programs can handle geometric series with negative or constant-multiplied exponents. Suggestions for alternative programs, such as Mathematica and WolframAlpha, are also mentioned.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have recently been doing some work that involves long, messy manipulations with lots of geometric series. A typical such series, which would only be one of a number of such terms in a formula, is:
$$
\sum_{t=h+1}^{T-h} \left(1-(1-\theta)^{T-t-h+1}\right)
\\
$$
It's not difficult to simplify this and get rid of the summation, but it takes me about five minutes a go (I'm slow, I know!) and there are dozens of these in the work.

I was wondering whether a symbolic algebra program like Maple might be able to do this for me. I don't have Maple but I've been experimenting with a free software equivalent called Maxima.

As far as I can understand from the Help, Maxima would not be able to process the above formula because, while it does have functions that deal with summing geometric series, they seem to require that the series limits be numeric constants, not variables.

I would be happy to pay for software that did this, if such a thing exists. Maple seems to be the best known. Does anybody know if Maple could sum the above and get the simplified version, which is
$$T-2h-(1-\theta)\frac{1-(1-\theta)^{T-2h}}{\theta}$$
Also, if anybody is familiar with Maxima, can you tell me if I'm correct that Maxima could not do the above?
Are there other programs that could do this?

Supplementary question: some of my geometric series have negative or constant-multiplied exponents, like
$$\sum_{i=0}^{h-1} (1-\theta)^{2(h-i-1)}\left(1-(1-\theta)^{i+1}\right)^2$$
Does anybody know if any of the symbolic algebra programs are clever enough to recognise that this can be decomposed into a series of powers of ##\left((1-\theta)^{-2i}\right)## and ##\left((1-\theta)^{-i}\right)## and then use the formula for the sum of a geometric series to simplify them?

Thank you for any help and suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica can do it

Likes andrewkirk
Maple worked your first one but didn't recognize the geometric sum in the second one. I'm using Maple 13.01. I just typed that second one in as is and it is possible that there are additional commands that would have caused Maple to sum it, but I don't know.

Likes andrewkirk

1. What are variable summation limits in Maple or similar programs?

Variable summation limits in Maple or similar programs refer to the ability to specify a range of values for a variable in a summation expression. This allows for more flexibility and precision in mathematical calculations.

2. How do I use variable summation limits in Maple?

To use variable summation limits in Maple, you can specify the range of values for the variable using the colon (:) operator. For example, to sum the values of x from 1 to 10, you would use the expression Sum(x, x = 1..10).

3. Can I use variable summation limits with multiple variables?

Yes, you can use variable summation limits with multiple variables by separating them with a comma. For example, to sum the values of x and y from 1 to 10, you would use the expression Sum(x+y, x = 1..10, y = 1..10).

4. What is the purpose of using variable summation limits?

The purpose of using variable summation limits is to perform precise and complex mathematical calculations. It allows for more control and accuracy when dealing with summation expressions that involve variables with varying values.

5. Are variable summation limits supported in other programming languages?

Yes, variable summation limits are supported in other programming languages, such as Python and Matlab. However, the syntax and implementation may differ from Maple or other similar programs.