A nonlinear model of ionic wave propagation along microtubules

In summary: I'm sorry I cannot be of more help.In summary, a person is having trouble understanding a paper on a nonlinear model of ionic wave propagation along microtubules, specifically the phase space plot used in the study. Despite some disagreement with the premise of the paper, it is noted that phase space plots can be useful in understanding system dynamics. The plot in question shows closed orbits, a saddle point, and possibly spirals, but it is unclear how this relates to the possibility of a soliton wave solution.
Billyneutron
Hi. I'm not even sure if I'm posting this in the best forum!

I'm having a lot of trouble grasping parts of this paper..

Eur Biophys J. 2009 Jun;38(5):637-47. Epub 2009 Mar 4.
A nonlinear model of ionic wave propagation along microtubules.

Specifically, they use a phase space plot that I cannot understand the physical (take home) message of the phase plot on the 2nd to last page.

Can anyone help?

Attached are the first three pages

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last few pages..

Attachments

• phase 1.4.png
    phase 1.4.png
    94.1 KB · Views: 431
Welcome to PF.

I'd be happy to answer questions about biophysics, but not about that paper, because I feel it's a load of horse manure.
That said, there's nothing odd about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_space" plots in themselves.

We do not allow the posting of copyrighted material, unless you have permission from the journal in question.

Billyneutron said:
Hi. I'm not even sure if I'm posting this in the best forum!

I'm having a lot of trouble grasping parts of this paper..

Eur Biophys J. 2009 Jun;38(5):637-47. Epub 2009 Mar 4.
A nonlinear model of ionic wave propagation along microtubules.

Specifically, they use a phase space plot that I cannot understand the physical (take home) message of the phase plot on the 2nd to last page.

Can anyone help?

Attached are the first three pages

I could only access the first page, but there was already a fatal flaw evident: specifically, evidence that the microtubules transport ions. AFAIK, microtubules have several functions, but ion transport is not one of them. Without that, it's an empty paper, signifying nothing.

After a bit of discussion, we've decided to let one page (the one with the phase diagrams) show as "fair use" for commentary/explanation on the diagrams.

I appreciate the responses, and sorry for breaking the rules.

Could any of you give me an idea what the plot "says" even though you may completely disagree with the premise of the paper?

I couldn't quite make out what is being plotted (V and V'?) And what those variables represent (voltage, voltage gradient?), but phase space diagrams usually plot a variable (say, position 'X') against it's conjugate variable (for 'X', the momentum P_x). Closed lines in a phase space diagram correspond to 'stable orbits': if a system has a constant total energy and is on a closed orbit, it will *always* be on that closed orbit for all future time (but the point does not generally travel along the graphed orbit).

Ok- so the graph has a central region of closed orbits: that than be thought of as equivalent to a harmonic oscillator- which orbit the system is on depends on the total energy.

The next feature is not drawn that well, but consists of a saddle point: that is (apparently) located at the point (0,0), and should appear as the crossing of two (locally) straight lines.

Saddle points are interesting in mechanics because they can represent a bifurcation point in the dynamics.

Now, the text mentions something about 'spirals', and the caption mentions how a system 'escapes' to a limit point but I can't make it out as the image is too noisy.

That's all I can figure out from the image. Hope it helps...

the closed orbits arent really closed. they spiral out eventually reaching the saddle point. What they do then I don't know

ionic wave propagation along microtubules

Andy Resnick said:
I couldn't quite make out what is being plotted (V and V'?) And what those variables represent (voltage, voltage gradient?), but phase space diagrams usually plot a variable (say, position 'X') against it's conjugate variable (for 'X', the momentum P_x). Closed lines in a phase space diagram correspond to 'stable orbits': if a system has a constant total energy and is on a closed orbit, it will *always* be on that closed orbit for all future time (but the point does not generally travel along the graphed orbit).

Ok- so the graph has a central region of closed orbits: that than be thought of as equivalent to a harmonic oscillator- which orbit the system is on depends on the total energy.

The next feature is not drawn that well, but consists of a saddle point: that is (apparently) located at the point (0,0), and should appear as the crossing of two (locally) straight lines.

Saddle points are interesting in mechanics because they can represent a bifurcation point in the dynamics.

Now, the text mentions something about 'spirals', and the caption mentions how a system 'escapes' to a limit point but I can't make it out as the image is too noisy.

That's all I can figure out from the image. Hope it helps...

Thanks for the reply. The first order derivative (V') is plotted vs voltage potential, V. I guess I'm unclear where the motivation for this plot stems from and how this plot implies the possibility of soliton wave solution.

Good questions- I don't know the answers, since I haven't read the paper.

Speaking generally, phase-space plots like that are very useful for understanding the dynamics of the system- limit points and cycles, bifurcations, etc. can all be easily found and thus steady-state behavior can be predicted. I'm not sure how a soliton would fit in, other than it's a stable state, similar to a limit point.

1. What is the purpose of the nonlinear model of ionic wave propagation along microtubules?

The purpose of this model is to better understand the mechanisms underlying the phenomenon of ionic wave propagation along microtubules, which has been proposed as a potential explanation for various biological processes such as cell signaling and consciousness.

2. How does the nonlinear model differ from previous models of ionic wave propagation?

The nonlinear model takes into account the nonlinear interaction between the ions and the microtubule lattice, whereas previous models only considered linear interactions. This allows for a more accurate representation of the behavior of ionic waves along microtubules.

3. What evidence supports the validity of the nonlinear model?

There have been several studies that have observed and measured ionic wave propagation along microtubules in biological systems, providing experimental evidence for the phenomenon. Additionally, the predictions of the nonlinear model have been found to align with these experimental observations.

4. Can the nonlinear model be applied to other biological systems?

While the nonlinear model was specifically developed to explain ionic wave propagation along microtubules, it may also have applications in other biological systems where similar nonlinear interactions between ions and cellular structures occur. Further research is needed to determine the extent of its applicability.

5. What are the potential implications of the nonlinear model for understanding biological processes?

If the nonlinear model is proven to be a valid representation of ionic wave propagation along microtubules, it could significantly advance our understanding of how information is processed and transmitted in living organisms. It may also have implications for the development of new technologies and treatments for neurological disorders.