1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A number raise to it self infinitely

1. Jul 29, 2007 #1
    hi I have encountered this...

Code (Text):
                                       X
                                    X
                                  X
                               X    =   3

I tried to solve it using properties of logarithims however I always end up with the initial equation... how will I find the value of X? ( x is raised to it self endlessly ).

:confused:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to parenthesize that exponential tower or it's ambiguous in meaning. 3^(3^3) is not equal to (3^3)^3. And as it's infinite, you need to express the meaning in terms of an infinite sequence. So start with a_0=x. Is a_n=x^(a_(n-1)) or is a_n=(a_(n-1))^x?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  4. Jul 30, 2007 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

The generally understood meaning of the left hand side of that equation is the infinite power tower function

[tex]f(x) = x^{(x^{(x^{(x^...[/tex]

or simply, work "downwards" from "infinity".

The "trick" solution to f(x) = N is to see that this implies x^f(x) = N hence x^N = N when a solution exists, giving x = N^(1/N).

The problem is that there is an upper bound on N for a solution to exist. I'll leave it to the OP to find that bound and hence deduce that f(x) = 3 has no solution.

5. Jul 31, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]x^{(x^{(x^{(x^...}}} = 3[/itex], Then
    x3= [tex]x^[{(x^{(x^{(x^...]}}}}= x^{(x^{(x^{(x^...}}}[/tex]. What is that equal to?

Curios3141, I don't see why that "has no solution". Am I missing something?

6. Jul 31, 2007 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Halls, try calculating [tex]f(x)=x^{x^{x^\cdots}}[/tex] when [tex]x=3^{1/3}[/tex]. It does not converge to 3. It does not converge, period. The upper bound on N is between 2 and 3 and is a very ubiquitous number.

7. Aug 1, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How are you calculating that? If, for example, you calculate 31/3, store it in "x" in a calculator, do x^x, then "ans"^x, repeatedly, it does not converge.

But that is NOT [tex]f(x)=x^{x^{x^\cdots}}[/tex]! To calculate that you need to repeatedly do x^"ans" and that does converge, slowly, to 3.

8. Aug 1, 2007 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I misspoke. It does converge, just not to the value you expect. Let

[tex] f_1(x) = x[/tex]
    [tex] f_k(x) = x^{f_{k-1}(x)}[/tex]

The desired function [itex]f(x)[/itex] is

[tex] f(x) = x^{x^{x^{\cdots^x}} = \lim_{k\to\infty}f_k(x) [/tex]

Now further define

[tex]g(x) = x^{1/x}[/tex]

THe question at hand is [itex]f(g(x))=x[/itex]? For [itex]x \in [ 1/e,e ] [/itex], [itex]f(g(x))=x[/itex]. The convergence is very slow as x approaches 1/e or e.

Things get a bit interesting when x>e. For example, [itex]f(g(3)) = 2.478053\cdots[/itex] rather than 3. What's going on here? Note that [itex]g(3) = 1.44225\cdots[/itex]. However, [itex]g(2.478053\cdots) = 1.44225\cdots[/itex] also. The inverse of [itex]g(x)[/itex] has two branches, with a branch point at [tex]e^{1/e}[/tex]. [itex]f(g(x))[/itex] converges to [tex]g^{-1}(g(x))[/tex], where [tex]g^{-1}[/tex] refers to the lower branch.

Things get even more interesting when x<1/e. The sequence [itex]\{f_k(x)\}[/itex] doesn't converge. Instead, the sequence toggles between a pair of values as [itex]k\to\infty[/itex], one close to zero and the other close to one.

9. Aug 2, 2007 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm a bit confused as to what converges, "converge, just not to the value you expect". The original problem was to solve
    [tex\ x^{x^x^{\cdot\cdot\cdot}}= 3[/tex].
    IF the sequence [itex]a_1= x^x[/itex], [itex]a_2= x^{a_1}, ... converges to 3, then x must be equal to 31/3.

10. Aug 2, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's true. But the converse (if x=3^(1/3) then the sequence converges to 3) isn't true. The sequence does converge to a limit L that you can find by solving log(L)/L=log(3)/3 (not the L=3 root, the other root L=2.47805...).

11. Aug 2, 2007 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am going to have to meditate upon this!

12. Aug 2, 2007 #11

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem is that no x exists such that the sequence [itex]\{a_k(x)\}[/itex] converges to 3.

13. Aug 3, 2007 #12

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Halls, it's simple. The radius of convergence of the hyperpower function [tex]f(x) = ^{\infty}x[/tex] (using the tetration notation) is [tex]({(1/e)}^e, e^{(1/e)})[/tex]

For x > e^(1/e), the function does not coverge.

For a value like 3^(1/3), the function *does* converge. But it does not converge to 3.

The function [tex]g(x) = x^{(\frac{1}{x})}[/tex] reaches a maximum at x = e. In other words, you cannot find a value of x that makes g(x) > e^(1/e), so g(f(x)) will always converge for any real positive x > e.

So for N > e, f([N^(1/N)]) will never equal N, even though convergence will hold. Hence f(x) = N has no solution for x > e.

Hope that clarifies things. I haven't explored the lower bound this carefully, so I shan't comment on it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  14. Aug 3, 2007 #13

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, thanks. I showed that "if the sequence of powers converges to 3, then x= 31/3. The converse, "if x= 31/3, then the sequence converges to 3" is not true.

15. Aug 4, 2007 #14

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Of course, the first condition (convergence to 3) will never actually be met.

16. May 14, 2008 #15
    D_H's f(g(x)) appears to provide solutions for x^y = y^x, x<>y, x>e.
    For instance y=f(g(3)) is the other solution for 3^y = y^3, besides the obvious y=3.
    When x=e, the only solution is y=e.
    However, such solutions also exist when 1 < x < e, eg 2^4 = 4^2, but f(g(x)) does not help then, eg f(g(2)) = 2.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?