1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A particle in a spherical symmetric potential

1. Sep 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle that moves in three dimensions is trapped in a deep spherically symmetric potential V(r):

V(r)=0 at r<r_0

infinity at r>= r_0

where r_0 is a positive constant. The ground state wave function is spherically symmetric , so the radial wave function u(r) satistifies the 1-dimensional schrodinger energy eigenvalue equation (-[tex]\hbar[/tex]2/2m)*d^2/dr^2*u(r)+V(r)*u(r)=Eu(r) with the boundary condition u(0)=0 (eqn u(r)=r*phi(r)

a) Explain why, in the potential well in the equation V(r)=0 at r<r_0

infinity at r>= r_0, the wave function is forced to vanish at r=r_0

b) Using the known boundary conditions on the radial wave function u(r) at r=0 and r=r_0 , find the ground state energy of the particle of this potential well

2. Relevant equations

(-[tex]\hbar[/tex]2/2m)*d^2/dr^2*u(r)+V(r)*u(r)=Eu(r)
    u(r)=r*phi(r)

3. The attempt at a solution

a)I don't exactly know what they mean by vanish in this context. Does V vanish when V=0? I know in a classically allowed region, when a particle just sits in a well and there is no external energy being transferred to the particle, then V=0.

b) To begin this problem, I should probably plug u(r) into (-[tex]\hbar[/tex]2/2m)*d^2/dr^2*u(r)+V(r)*u(r)=Eu(r). Not sure how following this procedure will help me find the value for the ground state energy.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2009 #2
    For A), the question is why the wavefunction must vanish (the angular parts are irrelevant; only u(r) really need vanish) at r=r0 where the potential jumps to be unboundedly large. The wavefunction does not "seep into" the region of infinite potential. The reason this must be can be seen in Schroedinger's equation: What happens when we try to put in V=infinity? What would d^2/dr^2*u or E have to be to satisfy the equation, and why would this be physically ruled out? On the other hand, if we just demand u=0 starting at r0, then the equation does not even need to be solved in a non-trivial way...it is trivially solved already.
    For B), this kind of reasoning is similar in many 1-dimensional problems. First think of just the well region where V=0. Then in that region you'd get free particle plane waves as solutions to the equation. But of course the particle isn't free because the V=0 region is not all there is to this particle's world; it sees the V=infinity jump. But we know that the conditions on the function u(r) are: u(r=0)=0=u(r=r0). So that just restricts the types of wavefunctions u(r) can be: Not just any exp(ikr) type plane wave, but a subset of them...what type of waveforms? Remember that the waveform you write down must be chosen so that the boundary conditions u(r=0)=0=u(r=r0) could be satisfied. You will also have to write down conditions on k such that the conditions are satisfied, just like in other 1-dimensional problems.

What is the ground state function, u(r), then? (Hint: note that we can write k in terms of known quantities). Putting u(r) in the Schr. eqn for the region r=[0,r0] will give you an eqn for E in terms of the mass, r0 and h-bar (Hint: What is V for this region?).

4. Sep 2, 2009 #3
    If V is at infinity, then C= (2m/h-bar^2)*(V(x)-E)=(1/phi)*(d^2/dx^2) approaches infinity as well which means that wave function bends far away from the axis and the ground state function approaches zero.=> u=0, since u=r*phi_0

wouldn't u=sin(k*pi) , k being an integer; so now I would be able to put u in my schrodinger equation to find V?

5. Sep 2, 2009 #4
    er... bump! DId I apply the correct line of reasoning and appproach to the problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook