1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A particle that feels an angular force only

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Consider a particle that feels an angular force only, of the form F=2mvw(theta direction). Show that r=Ae^theta + Be^-theta, where A and B are constants of integration."
    v=dr/dt
    w=d(theta)/dt

2. Relevant equations

F(radial)= 0 = m((dv/dt)-r*w^2)
    F(theta)= 2mvw = m(r*(dw/dt)+2vw)

3. The attempt at a solution

So I can solve the F(theta) equation to find that r*(dw/dt)=0, hence dw/dt=0
    and I can also solve the F(radial) equation to find that dv/dt=r*w^2
    I also know that this question involves a separation of variables and then integrating
    However the problem is that I don't know substitutions I can make to put the equations I have into a form that makes that possible. Any hints or ideas are appreciated ^-^

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2012 #2
    dw/dt = 0 means w = W = const. So the first equation is then dv/dt = Cr, where C = W^2 = const. Are you saying you don't know how to solve this equation?

4. Oct 2, 2012 #3
    Oh, thanks for pointing that out
    dv/dt can written as v(dv/dr)
    So 0.5v^2=0.5c*r^2+D ;where D is the constant of integration
    v=sqrt(cr^2 +2D)=dr/dt
    I end up with: t+E=intg[dr/sqrt(cr^2 +2D)] ;where E is the constant of integration
    Wolfram Alpha can't even solve this integral :O
    What am I missing?

5. Oct 2, 2012 #4
    That integral can be converted to [tex] \int \frac {adx} {\sqrt {x^2 + 1}} [/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook