A particle that feels an angular force only

In summary: That is the integral for inverse hyperbolic tangentIn summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a particle experiencing an angular force. The equations F(radial)=0 and F(theta)=2mvw are used to find the equations dv/dt=cr and dw/dt=0. The conversation also mentions using the separation of variables and integrating, but the speaker is unsure of what substitutions to make. The problem is eventually solved using the integral for inverse hyperbolic tangent.
retro10x

Homework Statement

"Consider a particle that feels an angular force only, of the form F=2mvw(theta direction). Show that r=Ae^theta + Be^-theta, where A and B are constants of integration."
v=dr/dt
w=d(theta)/dt

Homework Equations

F(radial)= 0 = m((dv/dt)-r*w^2)
F(theta)= 2mvw = m(r*(dw/dt)+2vw)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I can solve the F(theta) equation to find that r*(dw/dt)=0, hence dw/dt=0
and I can also solve the F(radial) equation to find that dv/dt=r*w^2
I also know that this question involves a separation of variables and then integrating
However the problem is that I don't know substitutions I can make to put the equations I have into a form that makes that possible. Any hints or ideas are appreciated ^-^

Physics news on Phys.org
dw/dt = 0 means w = W = const. So the first equation is then dv/dt = Cr, where C = W^2 = const. Are you saying you don't know how to solve this equation?

Oh, thanks for pointing that out
dv/dt can written as v(dv/dr)
So 0.5v^2=0.5c*r^2+D ;where D is the constant of integration
v=sqrt(cr^2 +2D)=dr/dt
I end up with: t+E=intg[dr/sqrt(cr^2 +2D)] ;where E is the constant of integration
Wolfram Alpha can't even solve this integral :O
What am I missing?

That integral can be converted to [tex] \int \frac {adx} {\sqrt {x^2 + 1}} [/tex].

First, let's rewrite the given force equation in terms of the variables given in the problem: F = 2mvw(theta direction) = m(r*(dw/dt) + 2vw). This is similar to the F(theta) equation given in the problem, but we have substituted in v=dr/dt and w=d(theta)/dt.

Next, we can use the F(radial) equation to solve for dv/dt, which gives us dv/dt = r*w^2. We can then substitute this into the F(theta) equation to get m(r*w^2) = m(r*(dw/dt) + 2vw). This simplifies to r*(dw/dt) + 2vw = 0.

Now, we can use the separation of variables method to solve this differential equation. We can rearrange the equation to get dw/dt = -2vw/r. Then, we can separate the variables by multiplying both sides by dt and dividing by -2vr, giving us: (1/2v)*dv = (-1/r)*d(theta).

Integrating both sides with respect to their respective variables gives us: (1/2)*ln|v| = -ln|r| + C, where C is a constant of integration. Using properties of logarithms, we can rewrite this as ln|v| = -2ln|r| + C'. Then, we can exponentiate both sides to get v = e^C'/(r^2).

Now, we can substitute this expression for v into our original equation, dv/dt = r*w^2. This gives us e^C'/(r^2) = r*w^2. We can solve for r by multiplying both sides by r^2 and taking the square root, giving us r = (e^C')^(1/3) = A*e^(theta) + B*e^(-theta), where A and B are constants of integration.

Therefore, we have shown that r = A*e^(theta) + B*e^(-theta), as desired.

What is a particle that feels an angular force only?

A particle that feels an angular force only is a type of particle that experiences a force that acts in a circular or rotational motion, rather than a linear motion. This force is known as an angular force, and it is often caused by a spinning or rotating object.

How does a particle that feels an angular force only differ from other particles?

A particle that feels an angular force only differs from other particles in that it only experiences forces that act in a circular or rotational motion. Other particles may experience forces that act in both linear and rotational motions.

What are some examples of particles that feel an angular force only?

Some examples of particles that feel an angular force only include planets orbiting around a star, electrons orbiting around a nucleus, and objects rolling down an inclined plane.

How does an angular force affect the motion of a particle?

An angular force can cause a particle to change its direction of motion, as well as its speed. This force can also cause a particle to move in a circular or rotational path, rather than a straight line.

Can a particle that feels an angular force only also experience other forces?

Yes, a particle that feels an angular force only can also experience other forces, such as gravitational or electromagnetic forces. However, the angular force will still act on the particle and affect its motion in a circular or rotational manner.