A PF Challenge to all you PF'ers

• Thread starter bobloblaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary, Feynman discusses the indeterminacy in classical physics due to uncertainty in initial conditions, stating that no matter how precise our measurements are, there will always be a time where our predictions become invalid. He then challenges the Physics Forumers to derive or refute his statement that this time is logarithmically related to the error. A possible derivation is provided, using the example of a pool table, where an error in initial conditions leads to an exponential increase in error over time. Another example is given by Roger Penrose in his book "Road to Reality," where he discusses the unpredictable evolution of air molecules after a certain amount of time due to the gravitational influence of a mass elsewhere in the universe.
bobloblaw
Hi Physics Forumers! I was listenining to the Feynman lectures and something Feynman said got me thinking. He was talking about the indeterminacy that exists in classical physics due to our uncertainty in the initial conditions:
Speaking more precisely, given an arbitrary accuracy, no matter how precise, one can find a time long enough that we cannot make predictions valid for that long a time. Now the point is that this length of time is not very large. The time goes, in fact, logarithmically with the error, and it turns out that in only a very, very tiny time we lose all our information.

I was wondering how he derived this. So I thought I would turn this into a challenge to the people on physics forums: Derive (or refute) what Feynman says in this quote! Make any assumptions you need to and use whatever level of physics you know. I'll post what I came up with after some people (hopefully) post their answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a pool billard. You have well defined initial conditions. Even clumsy players are able to shoot cue ball with precision of 1cm. Watch 10000 openings. Then you must see at least two openings differing by less than 1 micrometer.

Have you ever spotted two identical patterns formed by balls after the opening?

You've captured the idea perfectly. But what I want you to derive in particular is Feynman's statement that the uncertainty goes as the log of time. So in your case it would be to derive an uncertainty in the pool balls as a function of time. To do that you would probably want to assume the pool balls didn't slow down due to friction.

Nope. I only assume, that our players don't learn, and in next turn they'll spoil the configuration by the same factor as they did at opening. So the error multiplies with each step.
You: uncertainty goes as the log of time,
R.P.F.: The time goes, in fact, logarithmically with the error
That's not the same, and it is Feynman, who's right ;)
time goes logarithmically with the error means the same, as mine error goes exponentially with time

At the opening the single cue ball inaccuracy (1 micrometer), caused 15 balls to be scattered with some error (let's say: 1cm). In the next step each of those balls collide with others. But its position is not 1 micrometer, but 1 centimeters from its 'ideal' position. In yet next step - it would be 100m apart (if our table were that big...). Etc.

Last edited:
xts said:
Nope. I only assume, that our players don't learn, and in next turn they'll spoil the configuration by the same factor as they did at opening. So the error multiplies with each step.

That's not the same, and it is Feynman, who's right ;)
time goes logarithmically with the error means the same, as mine error goes exponentially with time

a = e^t => t = log a

if you have an error on "a" then it will go logarithmically with it

Roger Penrose gives this example in his "Road to Reality" (I can't find the exact quote cos the book is bloody thick so I'll paraphrase): Say you have a qubic meter (or maybe liter, don't remember) of air under normal conditions here on Earth and you know the initial state of all molecules precisely and you want to predict the evolution after 1 second. But if a mass of 1 kilo is displaced by 1 meter somewhere in the vicinity of Sirius, its gravitational influence is sufficient to make the trajectories absolitely unpredictable after 1 second.

1. What is the "A PF Challenge to all you PF'ers"?

The "A PF Challenge to all you PF'ers" is a challenge or experiment proposed by the Personal Finance community on social media platforms such as Reddit or Twitter. The goal of this challenge is to encourage individuals to improve their financial habits and reach their personal financial goals.

2. How does the challenge work?

The challenge typically involves setting specific financial goals and tracking progress over a certain period of time, usually a month. Participants share their progress and strategies with the community, providing support and accountability for each other.

3. What are some common goals for the challenge?

Some common goals for the "A PF Challenge to all you PF'ers" include saving a certain amount of money, paying off debt, increasing income, reducing expenses, or investing in a retirement account. However, participants are encouraged to set goals that are tailored to their individual financial situations.

4. Is the challenge only for people with a certain income or level of financial knowledge?

No, the challenge is open to anyone who wants to improve their financial habits and achieve their personal financial goals. Participants come from all income levels and backgrounds, and there is a wealth of resources and support available from the community for those who are new to personal finance.

5. How can I join the "A PF Challenge to all you PF'ers"?

To join the challenge, simply search for the hashtag #PFChallenge on social media platforms and look for posts from the Personal Finance community. You can also create your own post stating your participation in the challenge and include the hashtag. Remember to track your progress and engage with other participants for support and motivation!