A phd in pure maths and postdocs in theoretical physics (cosmology).

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Is this unheard or a lot of people do such a thing?
I mean if someone like me would like to do research in both areas, but knowing that doing 2 phds is too much (although I have read of a few who have done two phds one in CS and one in maths), I think my compromise would be to do first in pure maths (in a subject which is between maths and physics) a Phd and then procceed in postdoc in theoretical physics (cosmology), the question is, will the fact that the PHD won't be in theoretical physics per se, will hurt me?

Answers and Replies

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
the question is, will the fact that the PHD won't be in theoretical physics per se, will hurt me?
Yes, it will hurt you. You will be competing against people with a PhD in cosmology and a collection of publications on relevant topics. Of course, if your research whilst doing your PhD in maths is in cosmology, then it doesn't matter what the name of your degree is.

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Off the top of my, Roger Penrose, possibly the best relativist of the last half-century, is the only person (surely, there must be others) of which I can think who has done this.