1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs A phd in pure maths and postdocs in theoretical physics (cosmology).

1. Aug 18, 2009 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Is this unheard or a lot of people do such a thing?
    I mean if someone like me would like to do research in both areas, but knowing that doing 2 phds is too much (although I have read of a few who have done two phds one in CS and one in maths), I think my compromise would be to do first in pure maths (in a subject which is between maths and physics) a Phd and then procceed in postdoc in theoretical physics (cosmology), the question is, will the fact that the PHD won't be in theoretical physics per se, will hurt me?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2009 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it will hurt you. You will be competing against people with a PhD in cosmology and a collection of publications on relevant topics. Of course, if your research whilst doing your PhD in maths is in cosmology, then it doesn't matter what the name of your degree is.

4. Aug 18, 2009 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Off the top of my, Roger Penrose, possibly the best relativist of the last half-century, is the only person (surely, there must be others) of which I can think who has done this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook