Possible typo in equations 18.204-18.205 of Peskin and Schroeder

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mistake Peskin Schroeder
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,662
Reaction score
372
They write the following on page 646:
Thus, according to the Altarelli-Parisi equations, the n-th moment of ##f^{-}_f(x)## obeys:
$$(18.204) \ \ \ \frac{d}{d\log Q^2}M^-_{fn} = \frac{\alpha_s(Q^2)}{8\pi}a_f^n \cdot M^-_{fn}.$$
To integrate this equation, we need the explicit form of ##\alpha_s(Q^2)##.
Inserting expression (17.17), we find:
$$(18.205) \ \ \ \frac{d}{d\log Q^2} M^-_{fn}=\frac{a_f^n}{2b_0}\frac{1}{\log(Q^2/\Lambda^2)}M_{fn}^-$$

Now, equation (17.17) reads: ##\alpha_s(Q) = \frac{2\pi}{b_0 \log(Q/\Lambda)}##, so if I plug ##\alpha_s(Q^2) = \frac{2\pi}{b_0 \log(Q^2/\Lambda)}## into Eq. (18.204) I get: ##\frac{a^f_n}{4b_0}\frac{1}{\log(Q^2/\Lambda)}M^-_{fn}##.

Perhaps the ##\alpha_s(Q^2)## in equation (18.204) should be ##\alpha_s(Q)##?

For this it works fine, I wonder how come it doesn't appear in the errata this typo?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:
They write the following on page 646:Now, equation (17.17) reads: ##\alpha_s(Q) = \frac{2\pi}{b_0 \log(Q/\Lambda)}##, so if I plug ##\alpha_s(Q^2) = \frac{2\pi}{b_0 \log(Q^2/\Lambda)}## into Eq. (18.204) I get: ##\frac{a^f_n}{4b_0}\frac{1}{\log(Q^2/\Lambda)}M^-_{fn}##.

Perhaps the ##\alpha_s(Q^2)## in equation (18.204) should be ##\alpha_s(Q)##?

For this it works fine, I wonder how come it doesn't appear in the errata this typo?
[itex]Q[/itex] has the same dimension as [itex]\Lambda[/itex] so they must appear with the same power in the log. If it works with ##\alpha_s(Q)## then that's correct. It does not appear just because they are not aware of it or they forgot to include it. No all typos are corrected in errata.
 
At least in my copy, (17.17) reads

##\alpha_S(Q^2) = \frac{2\pi}{b_0\ln Q/\Lambda}## ,

i.e., with a ##Q^2## instead of ##Q## as the argument.
 
Dr.AbeNikIanEdL said:
At least in my copy, (17.17) reads

##\alpha_S(Q^2) = \frac{2\pi}{b_0\ln Q/\Lambda}## ,

i.e., with a ##Q^2## instead of ##Q## as the argument.
Which edition do you have?
 
I am actually not sure, the front matter is not particularly helpful. Published by Perseus Books, so rather old if I understand correctly...

Edit: according to this https://www.slac.stanford.edu/~mpeskin/QFTold.html eq. (17.17) in the version I apparently have was corrected in later versions (to be consistent with (17.13)), possibly without changing later equations consistently. I think this is just a matter of convention what argument you prefer for ##\alpha_S##, but in any case, the powers of ##\Lambda## and ##Q## should match of course, as nrqed said...
 
It's the running of the strong coupling constant. You find the one-loop calculation in my lecture notes

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

p. 255 ff. I hope I didn't make also some mistake or typo. Note that by definition ##\alpha_s=g^2/(4 \pi)##. At least it's the same as in Schwartz, QFT and the Standard model (given that for SU(3) ##C_A=3## and that ##\ln(\mu^2/\Lambda^2)=2 \ln(\mu/\lambda)## ;-)).

So the correct formula is
$$\alpha_s=\frac{4 \pi}{\beta_0 \ln(\mu^2/\Lambda^2)}=\frac{2 \pi}{\beta_0 \ln(\mu/\Lambda)},$$
where ##\beta_0=11 C_A-2 N_F##, where ##C_A## is the casimir of the adjoint representation and ##N_F## the number of quark flavors in the fundamental representation (as in QCD).

The two contributions come from the two gluon-loop diagrams and the quark-loop diagram, respectively, in the very elegant calculation via the gluon polarization function in background-field gauge provided in my manuscript, orignating from Abbott as cited in the manuscript).