1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem in Redox Titrations (Kjeldhal's Method)

1. Jun 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:

1.08g of ##NH_4 Cl## is boiled with 62ml ##\frac {N}{2}## ##NaOH## to expel ##NH_3## completely. 44ml of ##\frac {N}{4}## ##HCl## is required to neutralise the excess alkali. Calculate the percentage of ##NH_3 ## in ##NH_4 Cl##.

Answer given: 31.5%

2. Relevant equations:

3. The attempt at a solution:

I have found out the number of equivalents of ammonia liberated, which is the same as the number of equivalents of ammonium chloride used, and that of the number of equivalents of ##NaOH## that reacted, keeping in mind to subtract the excess number of equivalents of the alkali.

But, how do I find the weight of ammonia used? In the reaction of ##NH_4 Cl## with ##NaOH##, the oxidation number of Nitrogen doesn't change. So, what is the valency factor or 'n' factor for ammonia to find the equivalent weight? Should I just use Nitrogen's imaginary oxidation number in Ammonia to find the equivalent weight?

Or should I follow a completely different approach?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2017 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Hard to say what it is about. A bit nonsensical question (not your fault). Very convoluted way of finding out that

[tex]\frac {M_{NH_3}} {M_{NH_4Cl}} \times 100\% = 31.5 \%[/tex]

4. Jun 1, 2017 #3
    What does the M mean?

5. Jun 1, 2017 #4

Borek

Molar mass.

6. Jun 1, 2017 #5
    OK, so how should I find Molar Mass from number of equivalents?

7. Jun 1, 2017 #6

Borek

You don't have to, which is why I think this question doesn't make much sense. Most of the information given is completely useless.

8. Jun 1, 2017 #7
    So, I can conclude that the question is nonsensical, and I mark it solved. Anyways, thank you for your help. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted