Balanced Redox Equations for OCl- Titration with S2O32-

In summary, the first two equations represent the individual reactions of hypochlorite with iodide and iodine with thiosulfate, while the third equation is the overall reaction where iodine is not explicitly shown as it is an intermediate product. This method allows for the determination of the amount of hypochlorite present in the solution by using the reactions between iodine and thiosulfate.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

OCl- is reacted with I- in acidic solution to generate I2.

The I2 generated is then titrated using a solution of Na2S2O3.

If you look at the sum of the two reactions above, information about S2O3- can be used to determine the amount of I2 and thus the amount of ClO-.

Give the relevant balanced equations for the titration of OCl- with S2O32-. Including all redox half reactions there are three.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

First I figured out the two equations. I think they are:
OCl- + H2O + 2I- ---> Cl- + 2OH- + I2

I2 + 2S2O32- ---> 2I- + S4062-

Are those correct? Is it different because it's in acidic solution? The OH- make me think I did this in basic solution, but I'm not sure.

Then I added the two equations together to find:

OCl- + H2O + 2S2032- -----> Cl- + 2OH- + S4062-

If the last equation is correct, I don't see how that works. There's no I2 in the equation. The question says I need to go from thiosulfate ion, to I2, then to OCl-... hmm. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jumbogala said:
First I figured out the two equations. I think they are:
OCl- + H2O + 2I- ---> Cl- + 2OH- + I2

I2 + 2S2O32- ---> 2I- + S4062-

OK with me.

OCl- + H2O + 2S2032- -----> Cl- + 2OH- + S4062-

If the last equation is correct, I don't see how that works. There's no I2 in the equation. The question says I need to go from thiosulfate ion, to I2, then to OCl-... hmm. What am I doing wrong?

At first approximation - nothing. Iodine is only an intermediate product, used to transfer electrons in a controlled manner, as reaction between hypochlorite and thiosulfate is a messy one, with numerous byproducts and dubious stoichiometry.

Your attempt at the solution is close, but there are a few errors. First, the second equation should be written as follows:

I2 + 2S2O32- + 2H+ ---> 2I- + S4O62- + H2O

This accounts for the acidic solution by including the H+ ions. Also, in the first equation, the OH- ions should not be present since the reaction is taking place in acidic solution. The correct equation is:

OCl- + 2I- + 2H+ ---> Cl- + I2 + H2O

When you add the two equations together, you should get:

OCl- + 2S2O32- + H+ ---> Cl- + 2I- + S4O62- + H2O

This equation shows the overall reaction that takes place when OCl- is titrated with S2O32-. The thiosulfate ions are used to titrate the I2 that is generated from the first reaction, and the remaining OCl- is converted to Cl- ions. This equation can be used to determine the amount of OCl- present in the original solution, based on the amount of S2O32- needed to titrate the I2. Overall, the key to balancing redox equations is to make sure that the number of electrons lost in the oxidation half reaction is equal to the number of electrons gained in the reduction half reaction.

Related to Balanced Redox Equations for OCl- Titration with S2O32-

What is a redox equation?

A redox equation is an equation that shows the transfer of electrons between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It involves both reduction, where an atom gains electrons, and oxidation, where an atom loses electrons.

What is the purpose of balancing a redox equation?

The purpose of balancing a redox equation is to ensure that the same number of electrons are transferred on both the reactant and product sides. This is necessary because electrons cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction.

How do you balance a redox equation?

To balance a redox equation, you must first identify the atoms that are being reduced and oxidized. Then, add coefficients in front of each molecule to balance the atoms being reduced and oxidized. Finally, add H+ or OH- ions to balance the charges on each side of the equation.

What is the difference between oxidation and reduction?

Oxidation is the process in which an atom or molecule loses electrons, resulting in an increase in its oxidation state. Reduction is the process in which an atom or molecule gains electrons, resulting in a decrease in its oxidation state. Together, these processes make up a redox reaction.

Why is it important to understand redox equations?

Understanding redox equations is important because redox reactions are common in many chemical and biological processes, such as cellular respiration and combustion. By understanding redox equations, scientists can better understand and manipulate these reactions for various purposes, such as energy production and waste management.