B A problem involving the addition of two cubes

Charles Link

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Summary
Hypothetical situation: An algebra teacher was looking for examples of how the cubes of two integers might add to be the cube of a 3rd integer. Can you help the algebra teacher?
This post is meant to be a fun one. It is at the beginner level, because I think most people at the intermediate level would know what the solution is, but they might also find it entertaining as well. ## \\ ## A hypothetical situation: An algebra teacher observed that ## 3^2+4^2=5^2 ## and ## 5^2+12^2=13^2 ## and quite a number of others. The teacher wanted to give the class a little practice with some 3rd power arithmetic, and was looking for some integer examples where ##a^3+b^3=c^3 ##. Can you help the algebra teacher find a couple?

Charles Link

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Euler, 1753, but I don't know how he did it.
The first of many. I was thinking more on the lines of Fermat, but yes, I think Euler did it for the cubes. And the question that still remains unanswered, though many have their guesses, is whether Fermat had a proof for it.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
and was looking for some integer examples where a3+b3=c3 .
Huh? Doesn't Wiles' Theorem (formerly Fermat's Last Theorem) say there are no such triples?

Charles Link

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Huh? Doesn't Wiles' Theorem (formerly Fermat's Last Theorem) say there are no such triples?
That's why I made it a thread for beginners. I wanted to see if they knew that was the case. It was intended to be semi-educational.

Svein

Science Advisor
Insights Author
But there exists integers a, b, c and d such that [itex]a^{3}+b^{3}+c^{3}=d^{3} [/itex]. Example: [itex]3^{3}+4^{3}+5^{3}=6^{3} [/itex].

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
There are even infinitely many solutions for ##a^3+b^3=c^3##.

But there exists integers a, b, c and d such that [itex]a^{3}+b^{3}+c^{3}=d^{3} [/itex]. Example: [itex]3^{3}+4^{3}+5^{3}=6^{3} [/itex].
So, we know that for a^2+b^2=c^2, we can write it as:
a=m^2-n^2,b=2mn and therefore c=m^2+n^2, and then we can write it for all positive integers. Can we do the same for [itex]a^{3}+b^{3}+c^{3}=d^{3} [/itex] ??

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Congratulations. You got me (and others) with your trick question.

Ha.
Ha.
Ha.