A problem of circular permutation

In summary: Yes, and if you have ##n## people round the table, then the same arrangement (in terms of who is sitting next to whom) can be achieved in ##n## ways.
sahilmm15
I have understood everything till 2nd paragraph. But after that everything was above my head. Can you explain me the concept

Attachments

• IMG_20201224_104512.jpg
    IMG_20201224_104512.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 141
Physics news on Phys.org
What in particular isn't clear?

PeroK said:
What in particular isn't clear?
I am not clear on how they derived the formula at last.

sahilmm15 said:
I am not clear on how they derived the formula at last.
You put ABCD in a line, there are ##4! = 24## ways to do it.

You put them in a circle, there are ##4!/4 = 6## ways to do it.

This assumes that it's only the order round the table that is important (who is sitting next to whom). If the precise positions are important, then it's still ##4!## for the circle.

Likes sahilmm15
PeroK said:
You put ABCD in a line, there are ##4! = 24## ways to do it.

This assumes that it's only the order round the table that is important (who is sitting next to whom). If the precise positions are important, then it's still ##4!## for the circle.
Thanks for the reply. It's clear now.

PeroK said:
By the way why you divided ##4!## by 4. I founded that the order doesn't matter for the first person, there would be only 1 way to sit. After the first person sits, now the order matters, because each arrangement would not be the same unlike in the first case where arrangement was same every time. So ##1*3*2=6##

Let's do it for three places. For a row we have:

ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, CBA

That's ##3! = 6## ways.

For a circle, if we label the places then there are also six ways, exactly as above. But, if we consider only the order round the table, then:

ABC, CAB, BCA are all the same; and ACB, BAC, CBA are all the same. So, we have only two ways.

• Informative
Likes sahilmm15
PeroK said:
Let's do it for three places. For a row we have:

ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, CBA

That's ##3! = 6## ways.

For a circle, if we label the places then there are also six ways, exactly as above. But, if we consider only the order round the table, then:

ABC, CAB, BCA are all the same; and ACB, BAC, CBA are all the same. So, we have only two ways.
So, the observation of the above fact led people to generalize it with the formula. That's cool. Now I understood why you divided##4!## by ##4##

sahilmm15 said:
So, the observation of the above fact led people to generalize it with the formula. That's cool. Now I understood why you divided##4!## by ##4##
Yes, and if you have ##n## people round the table, then the same arrangement (in terms of who is sitting next to whom) can be achieved in ##n## ways. You start with an arrangement and then you rotate the whole table by an nth of a rotation and it's still the same.

Likes sahilmm15

1. What is a problem of circular permutation?

A problem of circular permutation is a type of mathematical problem that involves arranging objects in a circle, where the order of the objects matters. It is similar to a problem of linear permutation, but with the added constraint that the objects must be arranged in a circular formation.

2. How do you solve a problem of circular permutation?

To solve a problem of circular permutation, you can use the formula n!/r, where n represents the total number of objects and r represents the number of objects in each arrangement. You can also use visual aids, such as diagrams or tables, to help you visualize the different arrangements.

3. What are some real-life applications of circular permutation?

Circular permutation has many practical applications, such as arranging seats in a circular conference room, organizing seating arrangements for a dinner party, or creating a round robin tournament schedule.

4. What is the difference between circular permutation and combination?

The main difference between circular permutation and combination is that in circular permutation, the order of the objects matters, whereas in combination, the order does not matter. In other words, circular permutation involves arranging objects in a specific order, while combination involves selecting objects without regard to order.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving circular permutation problems?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks that can help you solve circular permutation problems more efficiently. For example, you can use the formula (n-1)! to find the number of circular permutations with a fixed starting point, or you can use the concept of symmetry to reduce the number of arrangements you need to consider.