Permutation of Letters: 10 Choose 4 with 4 Letter Gap between P and S

• MHB
  • Thread starter juantheron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Permutation
In summary: So that gives 14 possibilities. In summary, there are 14 times as many ways of arranging the letters as there are of arranging the letters without the P and the S, so in total, there are 14 times $10!/2$ ways of arranging the letters.
juantheron
Total no. of permutation of the words $\bf{PERMUTATIONS}$ in which there are

exactly $4$ letters between $P$ and $S$, is

My TRY:: If we fixed $P$ and $S$, Then there are $10$ letters $\bf{ERMUTATIONS}$

out of $10$, we have to select $4$ letters of $4$ gap b/w $P$ and $S$ and then arrange in this Gap.

Is I am Thinking Right or Not.

If Not please explain me ,Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: permutations

I would begin by observing we have 12 "slots" to fill. How many ways can the P and S be arranged, with 4 slots between them? Consider both orderings of these two letters.

jacks said:
Total no. of permutation of the words $\bf{PERMUTATIONS}$ in which there are

exactly $4$ letters between $P$ and $S$, is

My TRY:: If we fixed $P$ and $S$, Then there are $10$ letters $\bf{ERMUTATION}\color{red}{\bf{S}}$ (Don't need that S there!)

out of $10$, we have to select $4$ letters of $4$ gap b/w $P$ and $S$ and then arrange in this Gap.

Is I am Thinking Right or Not.
Maybe the easiest way is to start by saying that there are $10!/2$ ways of ordering those ten letters other than the P and the S (the division by 2 is because the two Ts are indistinguishable, so interchanging them does not lead to anything new).

Now think about how many ways there are to insert the P and the S into the list. If the P comes before the S, then there are 7 ways to insert them, namely
P****S******
*P****S*****
**P****S****
***P****S***
****P****S**
*****P****S*
******P****S,
and there will also be 7 arrangements with the S before the P.

Related to Permutation of Letters: 10 Choose 4 with 4 Letter Gap between P and S

1. What is a permutation of letters?

A permutation of letters is a rearrangement of a given set of letters in a specific order. For example, the word "cat" has 6 possible permutations: "cat", "act", "tac", "cta", "atc", and "tca".

2. How many permutations can be made from a set of letters?

The number of permutations that can be made from a set of letters is equal to the factorial of the number of letters in the set. For example, a set of 4 letters can have 4! = 24 permutations.

3. Can a permutation of letters create a new word?

Yes, a permutation of letters can create a new word. For example, the word "care" can be rearranged to form the word "race". However, not all permutations will result in valid words.

4. How is a permutation of letters different from a combination of letters?

A permutation of letters is an arrangement where the order of the letters matters, while a combination is an arrangement where the order does not matter. For example, the word "dog" has 6 permutations but only 1 combination, which is "dog".

5. How is the concept of permutation of letters used in science?

The concept of permutation of letters is used in various scientific fields, such as genetics, cryptography, and computer science. In genetics, permutations of DNA sequences can reveal important information about genes and their functions. In cryptography, permutations are used to encrypt and decrypt messages. In computer science, permutations are used in algorithms for sorting and searching data.