Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem on finding orthogonal basis and projection

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    Use the inner product <f,g> = integral f(x) g(x) dx from 0 to 1 for continuous functions on the inerval [0, 1]

a) Find an orthogonal basis for span = {x, x^2, x^3}

b) Project the function y = 3(x+x^2) onto this basis.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    I know the following:
    Two vectors are orthogonal if their inner product = 0
    A set of vectors is orthogonal if <v1,v2> = 0 where v1 and v2 are members of the set and v1 is not equal to v2
    If S = {v1, v2, ..., vn} is a basis for inner product space and S is also an orthogonal set, then S is an orthogonal basis.

Regarding projection, I know that if W is a finite dimensional subspace of an inner product space V and W has an orthogonal basis S = {v1, v2, ..., vn} and that u is any vector in V then,
    projection of u onto W = <u, v1> v1/||v1||^2 + <u, v2> v2/||v2||^2 + <u, v3> v3/||v3||^2 + ...<u, vn> vn/||vn||^2

I can calculate integrals, but I really do not know how to fit all these together for this problem. I am not sure how to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2011 #2
  4. Nov 21, 2011 #3
    Sorry, but still I did not understand. Can you at least give major steps?

5. Nov 21, 2011 #4
    What are the column vectors of S ?

6. Nov 21, 2011 #5
    Is this correct for part a?

If r + s = n, then
    <x^r, x^s> = ∫_0^1 x^n dx = x^(n+1)/(n+1) (0, 1)
    = 1^(n+1)/(n+1) - 0^(n+1)/(n+1)
    = 1/(n+1)

Let the orthogonal basis = {f1, f2, f3}

Put f1 = 1
    f2 = t^2- (<t^2,t>)/(<t,t>)*t = t^2- (1/4)/(1/3)*t = t^2 - 3t/4
    f3 = t^3- (<t^3,t>)/(<t,t>)*t - (<t^3,t^2>)/(<t^2,t^2>)*t^2
    = t^3 - (1/5)/(1/3)*t - (1/6)/(1/5) * t^2 = t^3-3t/5-(5t^2)/6

The orthogonal basis = {1, t^2 - 3t/4, t^3-3t/5-(5t^2)/6}

--------------
    How do I solve part b ?

7. Nov 23, 2011 #6
    Shouldn't that be [itex] f_1 = t [/itex] since you're orthogonalizing the basis [itex] \{x, x^2, x^3\}[/itex]? You should set [itex] f_1[/itex] equal to the first vector of the original basis. Actually, it looks like you took [itex] f_1 = t [/itex] for the calculation of [itex] f_2 [/itex]...
    Make sure you're following the formula I linked. You should be taking the projection along the orthogonal vectors you calculated previously, so you should have
    [tex]
    f_3 = t^3 - \frac{\langle t^3, f_1 \rangle}{\|f_1\|^2} f_1 - \frac{\langle t^3, f_2 \rangle}{\|f_2\|^2} f_2
    [/tex]

I think you calculated [itex] f_2[/itex] correctly, but not [itex] f_3 [/itex].
    You wrote the formula for this in your first post. Once you finish part (a), you can use it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook