Orthogonal set - Geometric interpretation

In summary, the concept of an orthogonal set in an inner product space refers to two vectors being perpendicular to each other, with their inner product equaling zero. In three-dimensional space, a set of three orthogonal vectors would appear as three perpendicular lines, while in two-dimensional space, this is only possible with the inclusion of the zero vector.
shounakbhatta
Orthogonal set -- Geometric interpretation

Hello,

If we have two vectors u,v then in an inner product space, they are said to be orthogonal if <u,v>=0.

Well, orthogonal means perpendicular in Euclidean space, i.e. 90 degrees. How <u,v> becomes zero.

Secondly, if I have three vectors, v1,v2,v3 with certain values, computing, we get <v1,v2>=0
<v1,v3>=0
<v2,v3>=0

How will it look like in geometrical figure. I mean to say, what if we take these 3 vectors and put it on a picture and how it would look like?

Thanks,

-- Shounak

Physics news on Phys.org

shounakbhatta said:
Hello,

If we have two vectors u,v then in an inner product space, they are said to be orthogonal if <u,v>=0.

Well, orthogonal means perpendicular in Euclidean space, i.e. 90 degrees. How <u,v> becomes zero.

Secondly, if I have three vectors, v1,v2,v3 with certain values, computing, we get <v1,v2>=0
<v1,v3>=0
<v2,v3>=0

How will it look like in geometrical figure. I mean to say, what if we take these 3 vectors and put it on a picture and how it would look like?

Thanks,

-- Shounak
In R3, these will be three perpendicular vectors. For example, the standard basis vectors (1,0,0), (0,1,0), and (0,0,1).
In R2, this is not possible, unless at least one of the vectors is the zero vector.

FAQ: Orthogonal set - Geometric interpretation

1. What is an orthogonal set in geometry?

An orthogonal set is a set of vectors that are mutually perpendicular to each other. This means that when these vectors are plotted in a coordinate system, they form right angles with each other.

2. How is an orthogonal set different from a non-orthogonal set?

In a non-orthogonal set, the vectors are not perpendicular to each other and can have any angle between them. In contrast, an orthogonal set has vectors that are always at right angles to each other.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of an orthogonal set?

The geometric interpretation of an orthogonal set is that it represents a set of directions that are all mutually perpendicular to each other. This can be visualized as a set of axes in a 3-dimensional coordinate system.

4. How can an orthogonal set be used in geometry and mathematics?

An orthogonal set can be used to simplify calculations and solve problems involving vectors and coordinate systems. It is also useful in linear algebra and other branches of mathematics.

5. Are all orthogonal sets the same size?

No, the size or dimension of an orthogonal set can vary. In a 2-dimensional coordinate system, there are two mutually perpendicular axes, while in a 3-dimensional coordinate system, there are three mutually perpendicular axes. Therefore, the size of an orthogonal set depends on the number of dimensions in the coordinate system.