1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem on the paraxial wave equation?

1. Nov 28, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    I have this electrodynamics problem sheet on the paraxial approximation, and I am not getting very far with it. It starts off talking about a laser beam travelling in the z-direction, and says that a scalar wave has the form F(r,w)eiwt.

The first part of the question ends with me proving that the homogeneous wave equation

[tex]\nabla^2 \Psi = \frac{1}{c^2} \frac{\partial^2 t}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

takes the form

[tex](\nabla^2 + k^2)F(\vec{r},w) = 0 [/tex], which was fairly straight forward.

I am then told to substitute F(r,w) = G(r,w)e-ikz, rewrite the wave equation in terms of G, and apply the paraxial approximation:

[tex]2ik\frac{\partial G}{\partial z} >> \frac{\partial^2 G}{\partial z^2}[/tex]

to get the "paraxial wave equation". So, here's what I have tried...

[tex]\frac{\partial G}{\partial z} = ikF(\vec{r},w)e^i^k^z = ikG(\vec{r},w)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 G}{\partial z^2} = -k^2F(\vec{r},w)e^i^k^z = -k^2G(\vec{r},w)[/tex]

hence [tex]2ik\frac{\partial G}{\partial z} = -2k^2F(\vec{r},w)e^i^k^z = -2k^2G(\vec{r},w)[/tex].

I also said that [tex]\nabla^2G(\vec{r},w)e^-^i^k^z = -k^2G(\vec{r},w)e^-^i^k^z[/tex] (rewriting my wave equation in terms of G)

ie. [tex]\nabla^2G(\vec{r},w) = -k^2G(\vec{r},w)[/tex]

or [tex]\nabla^2G(\vec{r},w) = \frac{\partial^2 G}{\partial z^2}[/tex].

(so the second derivatives with respect to x and y are zero, don't know if this has any significance?).

This is essentially as far as I have made it with this question so far. I am not really sure what to do with that so-called paraxial approximation, because when you stick the first and second G derivatives into it and cancel, you get 2>>1, which doesn't really make sense. All I really said beyond this was that

[tex]2ik\frac{\partial G}{\partial z} >> \nabla^2 G[/tex], and I don't really see how that helps.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to proceed here? I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to remember that both [itex]F(\textbf{r},t)[/itex] and [itex]G(\textbf{r},t)[/itex] are functions of the position vector [itex]\textbf{r}[/itex] (and hence [itex]x[/itex], [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex])....so when you are taking spatial derivatives of the product of either of these functions with say, [itex]e^{ikz}[/itex], you need to use the product rule.

For example,

[tex]\frac{\partial G}{\partial z} =\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\left(F(\textbf{r},\omega)e^{ikz}\right)= ikF(\textbf{r},\omega)e^{ikz}+\frac{\partial G}{\partial z}e^{ikz}\neq ikF(\textbf{r},\omega)e^{ikz}[/tex]

4. Nov 28, 2009 #3
    No. [itex]G[/itex] is a function [itex]x[/itex], [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex], so the second derivatives with respect to [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] should not be zero.

5. Nov 29, 2009 #4
    Ah of course, can't believe I missed that... thanks guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook