A problem Sean Carroll's book about Killing vectors

In summary, the conversation discussed the two relations that any Killing vector must satisfy, which involve the Riemann tensor. The first relation can be proven using the definition of the Riemann tensor, the Killing equations, and the Bianchi identity. The second relation can be proven by contracting the first equation and the contracted Bianchi identity, using the product rule and the Killing equation.
shichao116

Homework Statement

(This is problem 12 of Chapter 3 in Sean Carroll's book: Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity.)
Show that any Killing vector [itex]K^\mu[/itex] satisfies the following relations:
[tex]\nabla_\mu\nabla_\sigma K^\rho = R^\rho_{\sigma\mu\nu}K^\nu[/tex]
[tex]K^\lambda\nabla_\lambda R = 0[/tex]

Where R is Riemann tensor.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove the first one by using the definition of Riemann tensor, i.e. the commutator of two covariant derivatives, Killing equations associated with Killing vector, and Bianchi identity.

But for the second one, in the book it is said that we can prove it by contracting the first equation, i.e.
[tex]\nabla_\mu\nabla_\sigma K^\mu = R_{\sigma\nu}K^\nu[/tex]
and the contracted Bianchi identity
[tex]\nabla_\mu(R^{\mu\nu}-1/2g^{\mu\nu}R)=0[/tex]

What I do is multiplying Killing vector to the contracted Bianchi identity and then I get to where I stuck:
[tex]1/2K^\mu\nabla_\mu R = K_\nu\nabla_\mu R^{\mu\nu} [/tex]

obviously the left hand side is what we need to prove to be zero. But I failed to show the right hand side to be zero after tried many ways.

Can anyone give me some clue how to do that ?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
shichao116 said:
What I do is multiplying Killing vector to the contracted Bianchi identity and then I get to where I stuck:
[tex]1/2K^\mu\nabla_\mu R = K_\nu\nabla_\mu R^{\mu\nu} [/tex]

Use the product rule

[tex] K_\nu\nabla_\mu R^{\mu\nu} =\nabla_\mu( K_\nu R^{\mu\nu}) - R^{\mu\nu}\nabla_\mu K_\nu. [/tex]

Then you should be able to use the first identity and the Killing equation to see that both terms vanish.

1. What is a Killing vector?

A Killing vector is a vector field that preserves the metric structure of a manifold. In other words, it is a vector field that leaves the geometry of a space unchanged. It plays an important role in the study of symmetries and conserved quantities in physics.

2. How does Sean Carroll's book explore Killing vectors?

Sean Carroll's book, "A problem Sean Carroll's book about Killing vectors", explores Killing vectors in the context of general relativity. He discusses how Killing vectors can be used to find symmetries and conserved quantities in spacetime, and how they relate to the concept of energy and momentum.

3. Is this book suitable for non-experts in physics?

No, this book is geared towards readers with a background in physics. It assumes a familiarity with concepts such as general relativity and differential geometry.

4. What are some real-world applications of Killing vectors?

Killing vectors have many applications in physics, particularly in the study of spacetime symmetries. They are also used in mathematical models of fluid dynamics and in the analysis of black hole solutions in general relativity.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

As mentioned earlier, this book assumes a background in physics, specifically in general relativity and differential geometry. It may also be helpful to have some familiarity with vector calculus and tensor analysis.