A professor's opinion about doing physics with such low job chances

In summary, a professor of nuclear physics in Egypt shared that 70% of physics graduates in the country do not get a job in the field. However, he also emphasized that knowledge and passion for the subject are more important than money or a job. He further stated that there are two types of physics students - those who aspire to become professors and those who are driven by their curiosity and love for the subject. While both groups have a low chance of getting a job in physics, the latter group is content with simply knowing more about the subject. The professor was not trying to motivate the person, but rather provide them with information to make an informed decision about their future.
B4ssHunter
so i currently live in egypt , physics job positions here are actually a lot worse than in america
anyway , i asked my grandpa's friend about if i should do physics or not , he was a professor of nuclear physics in alexandria university
anyway
he said that
" 70% of physics graduates in egypt , don't get a job in physics , i realized that when i was first starting physics , i knew i was probably going to work somewhere else when i graduate , but i couldn't just resist the temptation to know all those things , i was lucky to become a professor of physics , but that's not what i am here for , i am here to know more , knowledge was more important than money or job or even a wife to me , it would seem stupid but that's how it is for me "
then he continued
" people who study physics at least those in our university are divided into two groups
one of them are those who study really hard and work hard to become professors , lecturers and even scientists
and then are those who work really hard , and study really hard to know what they would die to know , to know that little thing that keeps them from sleeping
in the end , they both get the same chance of working which is near 10% , but the second group seems to not care about a job anymore , just like me "

i really want to know how you think of this ? is he just trying to motivate me to go into physics ?
or is he talking for real ?
i mean yes , i would die to know how magnetic fields work , how quantum theories work but i don't know if i could live without a job

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks pretty accurate to me.
If you are in physics for the money - you are doing it wrong.
However, not getting a job in physics is not the same as not getting any job - very few University grads get work in their speciality, but they do seem to be able to (at least) stay alive on what they do. There is usually some way to make a living for someone who is smart and science training is quite good for general competence.

What he was doing, was providing you with the information you needed to make an informed choice about your future - i.e. he was trying to empower you with knowledge. That's what educators are supposed to do. If you want motivation, get a coach. He'll tell you you're great and you can be the best and you should get out there and win!

What is a professor's opinion about the job chances in the field of physics?

A professor's opinion about the job chances in physics will vary depending on their personal experiences and observations. Some may believe that the job market is highly competitive and that there are limited job opportunities, while others may see more potential for growth and job openings.

Why are there low job chances for physics majors?

There are a few reasons why there may be low job chances for physics majors. One reason could be the limited number of positions available in research and academia. Another reason could be the high level of education and specialized skills required for many physics jobs, making it a competitive field.

Is it worth pursuing a career in physics with such low job chances?

This ultimately depends on the individual's interests and goals. If someone is truly passionate about physics and willing to put in the effort to excel in their studies and stand out in the job market, then it may be worth pursuing. However, it is important to also consider alternative career paths and have a backup plan in case job opportunities are limited.

What can physics majors do to increase their job chances?

One way to increase job chances for physics majors is to gain experience through internships, research projects, and networking. Building a strong resume and making connections in the field can make a big difference in finding job opportunities. Additionally, staying updated on advancements and developments in the field can also make a candidate more competitive.

Are there any industries or fields where job chances for physics majors are higher?

While the job market for physics majors may be limited in some areas, there are also industries where their skills and knowledge are highly valued. These include technology, engineering, finance, and data analysis. Physics majors can also pursue careers in fields such as healthcare, renewable energy, and environmental science, where their expertise is in demand.