1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about kaon masses and decay widths

1. Apr 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok, so I need to make a software that will simulate a neutral kaon system, and I only have the following data about the masses and decay widths:

gammaS = 580*gammaL {S = short lived state, L = long lived state}

mS - mL = 0.477*gammaS

2. Relevant equations

How to implement these numerically in a program? (i.e. what values to give each of the four terms)

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried

gammaS = 580
    gammaL = 1
    mS = 277.6
    mL = 1

doesn't work :(

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2014 #2
    What do you mean by

"
    I tried

gammaS = 580
    gammaL = 1
    mS = 277.6
    mL = 1
    " ?

What do you mean by " doesn't work :(" ?

You haven't really told us anything...

4. Apr 20, 2014 #3
    I need to parametrize these values in order to verify a bell inequality, and the result that I get is not ok. This was my question, how can I parametrize these 4 values with the information above, because it seems that only the mL-mS difference is measured, but I haven't found mS and mL themselves.

5. Apr 20, 2014 #4
    mL and mS are the Kaon mass.

6. Apr 20, 2014 #5
    Dauto, I know they represent the masses of the short and long lived states. The problem is I cannot find their numerical values anywhere, only their difference. Does anyone know what are the specific values of ms and ml?

L.E. Ok , so I managed to solve it and it works. Topic can be closed.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  7. Apr 21, 2014 #6
    In the future if you need data on any particles a good place to look is the particle data group (PDG) website

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted