1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of leptonic decay widths

1. Dec 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Halzen & Martin, problem 2.25

2. Relevant equations

The ρ and ω wavefunctions are u[itex]\overline{u}[/itex]-d[itex]\overline{d}[/itex] and u[itex]\overline{u}[/itex]+d[itex]\overline{d}[/itex] except for a normalization factor.

3. The attempt at a solution

In this problem one has to evaluate the expectation value of the charge operator for each of the mesons listed using their quarks wavefunctions and then square them but I get the same value of that expectation value for both ρ and ω so their squares will never be in the ratio 9:1.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You have to add the individual contributions and square the sum, not the other way round. This should give a ratio of 3:1 for the sum (as 2/3+1/3 != 2/3-1/3) and 9:1 for its square.

4. Dec 18, 2012 #3
    Thank you for your reply, mfb.

I appreciate the point that one has to square afterwards.

I think that my problem lies in the evaluation of the expectation value of the charge operator for each meson. What I'm doing for the ρ meson, for instance, is

[itex] \langle u \overline{u}-d \overline{d}|e_1+e_2|u \overline{u}-d \overline{d} \rangle=\frac{2}{3}-\frac{1}{3}-\frac{2}{3}+\frac{1}{3}=0[/itex],

where [itex]e_1[/itex] and [itex]e_2[/itex] represent the charge operators for each of the quark/antiquarks.

Obviously conceptually there is something wrong but I'm not sure what.

Thank you for your attention.

5. Dec 19, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

u can go to d + positive lepton only, u-bar can go to d-bar + negative lepton only - they are two different processes and do not add.

6. Dec 19, 2012 #5
    I do not quite understand your reply.

So, what I'm doing for calculating the expectation value of [itex]e_1[/itex], for the sake of the argument, is

[itex]\langle u\overline{u}-d\overline{d} | e_1|u\overline{u}-d\overline{d}\rangle=\langle u\overline{u}|e_1|u\overline{u}\rangle + \langle d\overline{d}|e_1|d\overline{d}\rangle = \frac{2}{3}-\frac{1}{3}=\frac{1}{3}[/itex]

and analogously for [itex] e_2[/itex].

7. Dec 19, 2012 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Calculate the decay widths for positive and negative leptons separately - they are two different processes, the amplitudes do not add.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook