Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about linear transformations

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    If we have a linear transformation T:W -> W. Then if we write T with respect to a different basis B, will the domain and range still be W? So, will we have [itex][T]_B : W \rightarrow W[/itex] ?

If not, can anybody explain to me why?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, the domain and range will remain the same.

4. Oct 12, 2012 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

micromass is of course quite right in an intrinsic sense. nothing auxiliary changes the domain and range of a map.

still i look at these things a little differently. to me a basis is an isomorphism from the given vector space V to a coordinate space R^n.

then the matrix associated to that basis is a map from coordinate space to itself.

i.e. if T:V-->V, and the basis B defines the isom B:V-->R^n,

then we have [T]B:R^n-->R^n, where the composition

B^-1o[T]BoB: V-->R^n-->R^n-->V equals T:V-->V.

Thus in this sense, the domain of [T]B is R^n not V, and the range of [T]B is the image of the range of T under the isomorphism B:V-->R^n.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  5. Oct 13, 2012 #4
    I'm not sure if I understand this...You say that micromass's answer would be considered right, but then you say "domain of [T]B is R^n not V, and the range of [T]B is the image of the range of T under the isomorphism B:V-->R^n." So would it be wrong to say [itex][T]_B : V \rightarrow V[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook