A question involving permutations and probability.

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on probability where letters are arranged in a circle and the goal is to find the probability of having at least 2 vowels next to each other. The attempt made involves arranging the remaining letters and considering the different possible arrangements to avoid consecutive vowels. Any further help or corrections would be appreciated.
missiledragon
So, (this is not homework), I have been stuck on a question regarding probability for a while now and am clueless of how to continue. The question is:

The letters A, E, I, P, Q, and R are arranged in a circle. Find the probability that at least 2 vowels are next to one another.

My attempt: Alright, since one letter is fixed, that leaves us with 5 letters to arrange. I'm going to fix the consonant in this case, since it is particularly easier for me :P. The remaining spots (5 left) can be arranged 3!*2! (remaining vowels and consonants respectively).

I'm lost here though, so any help on what to do/correct me would help. Thanks! :D

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would consider something like this:

You have 3 vowels {A,E,I} and 3 consonants {P,Q,R}

You want arrangements of the types:

1) V1, C1 , V2 ,C2, V3, C3 , where Vi is a vowel, Ci a consonant, or:

2) C1,V1 ,C2 , V2, C3, V3

To guarantee that there are no consecutive vowels. Every other arrangement will contain consecutive

vowels. Then you have to put the arrangement in a circle and consider the ones that are equal as

permutations, e.g:

A P E Q I R is the same as P E Q I R A , when put into a circle, and so is E Q I R A P , etc.

Wow! missledragon waited 13 whole minutes before bumping! That may be a new record.

1. What is a permutation?

A permutation is an arrangement of a set of objects in a specific order.

2. How is a permutation different from a combination?

A permutation involves arranging all objects in a specific order, while a combination does not consider the order of the objects.

3. How do you calculate the number of permutations?

The number of permutations can be calculated by using the formula n!/(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being arranged.

4. How does probability relate to permutations?

Probability is the likelihood of an event occurring. In permutations, the probability of a specific arrangement occurring can be calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

5. Can permutations be used in real-life situations?

Yes, permutations can be used in various fields such as statistics, computer science, and finance to analyze and solve real-life problems involving arrangements and probabilities.