1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question involving permutations and probability.

1. Apr 1, 2013 #1
    So, (this is not homework), I have been stuck on a question regarding probability for a while now and am clueless of how to continue. The question is:

The letters A, E, I, P, Q, and R are arranged in a circle. Find the probability that at least 2 vowels are next to one another.

My attempt: Alright, since one letter is fixed, that leaves us with 5 letters to arrange. I'm going to fix the consonant in this case, since it is particularly easier for me :P. The remaining spots (5 left) can be arranged 3!*2! (remaining vowels and consonants respectively).

I'm lost here though, so any help on what to do/correct me would help. Thanks! :D

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2013 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I would consider something like this:

You have 3 vowels {A,E,I} and 3 consonants {P,Q,R}

You want arrangements of the types:

1) V1, C1 , V2 ,C2, V3, C3 , where Vi is a vowel, Ci a consonant, or:

2) C1,V1 ,C2 , V2, C3, V3

To guarantee that there are no consecutive vowels. Every other arrangement will contain consecutive

vowels. Then you have to put the arrangement in a circle and consider the ones that are equal as

permutations, e.g:

A P E Q I R is the same as P E Q I R A , when put into a circle, and so is E Q I R A P , etc.

4. Apr 1, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Wow! missledragon waited 13 whole minutes before bumping! That may be a new record.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook