1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on electromagnetic waves (I think!)

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    "Show that spherical dust grains within the Solar System which have a radius less than a critical radius r will be repelled by the sun, whilst those with a radius greater than r will be attracted towards it. Calculate r given that the mass of the sun is 2x10^30kg, its luminosity is 4x10^26W and the density of the dust grains is of order 10^3kgm^-3. (Neglect the pressure exerted by the Solar Wind).

If possible, I'd like an explanation on how to approach this problem, but not a full answer, as I'd rather do the working, etc myself (I can't really learn just by copying, I take information in a lot better by practicing applications). I just don't really know where to start with it.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2008 #2
    Obtain the equations for 1) particles are attracted by the sun due to gravity and 2) replused by the energy in the photons (luminosity) and set them equal to each other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?