A question on MWI (for Dmitry67)

• Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mwi
In summary, Dmitry believes that the wave function of the universe depends on the initial condition, and that even if one chooses a very simple initial condition, one can still ask - why this initial condition and not some other? So why not ALL initial conditions? Why advocates of MWI (with the exception of Tegmark) do not say that ALL wave functions (that satisfy appropriate equations of motion) are realized in parallel universes?
Physics news on Phys.org
hamster143 said:
The definition of a branch is closely tied with slicing up of the Hilbert space of the universe into smaller Hilbert spaces of its interacting constituents (which is, obviously, non-unique). If you view the big Hilbert space as a tensor product of a number of smaller spaces, that gives you a natural set of basis states and an evolution Hamiltonian, which, when applied to any basis state, will likely turn it into a superposition, thus "branching" it.

There is a preferred slicing that identifies conscious beings as basis states. It is convenient because these states are relatively stable. Under the action of Hamiltonian, a conscious being can remain the same (be an eigenstate), evolve in a slow and continuous manner (move), or occasionally undergo discrete branchings when it acquires new knowledge.

So, in the very beginning entropy was very low. We can think about the unitary evolution of the "wavefunction fo the unvierse".

That wavefunction became more and more chaotic in some sense (at the same 'cosmological' time). However, the number of different states was low and matter was very hot. Event we can technically use ANY basis for the decoherence, if did not make any sense because these systems were so hot that they could not posses any stable degrees of memory, which can be considered as 'memory' of that system

We can not talk probably about the decoherence until the very first primitive systems (hardrons, primitive nuclei) emerged. But stillthere were very primitive. As time frame of decoherence depends on the number of degrees of freedom, the decoherence at that time was very slow.

Until some time the whole evolution of the universe should be calculated as unitary and global, without any division to branches.

Is this correct?

Dmitry67 said:
Is this correct?
Perhaps, but not if the initial condition is perfectly symmetric.

Demystifier said:
Nice try! However, a superposition of nontrivial structures does not necessarily need to contain nontrivial structures. Indeed, in the case above it doesn't.

Take for example a constant function
f(x)=1 for all x
You can write this function as a sum of two (or more) very complicated functions. These functions may have nontrivial structures. Yet, the constant function above does not contain nontrivial structures. It is perfectly clear when f(x) represents some classical quantity. And the idea of MWI is that the wave function is also, in a certain sense, a "classical" quantity.

I think one needs to have an unambiguous recipe to define what the "nontrivial structure content" is. My opinion is that one has to expand the function in a certain preferred basis to extract this.

Last edited:
Demystifier said:
Perhaps, but not if the initial condition is perfectly symmetric.

Why perfectly symmetric initial conditions in MWI can not evolve into a symmetric superposition of assymetric states?

Take a box with 2 neutrons - one on the left and one on the right. The inital state is symmetric.
Now after a while left (or right) neutron decays.
in MWI it means that there are 2 branches (in fact there are much more branches) - left decayed first, right decayed first.

It is perfectly okay to have asymmetry arise out of symmetry. There's even a term for it - spontaneous symmetry breaking :) Think phase transitions.

We can not talk probably about the decoherence until the very first primitive systems (hardrons, primitive nuclei) emerged. But stillthere were very primitive. As time frame of decoherence depends on the number of degrees of freedom, the decoherence at that time was very slow.

Until some time the whole evolution of the universe should be calculated as unitary and global, without any division to branches.

Is this correct?

In some sense, universe itself has a memory. Large-scale structure of the universe depends on fluctuations in inflaton field during inflation. Electroweak angle (and therefore things like Fermi constant and half-lives of most radioactive isotopes) depends on the outcome of electroweak symmetry breaking, which is different in every universe.

I believe that the term "decoherence" is dangerously misleading, imprecisely defined and should not be used too often.

hamster143 said:
It is perfectly okay to have asymmetry arise out of symmetry. There's even a term for it - spontaneous symmetry breaking :) Think phase transitions.

Yes, but the interpretation is the spontaneous symmetry breaking is interpretation-dependent.

In deterministic single history theory it is not possible.
In the deterministic single history theory WIT HIDDEN VARIABLES (BM) assymetry is pre-coded in the initial conditions, but it is undetectable until the actual event.
In non-deterministic theories (CI, TI) initial conditions can be very simple, and randomness is responsible for symmetry breaking.
In MWI the "wavefunction of the universe" is symmetric because theory is deterministic, but different "branches" can break the symettry locally in a globally symmetric way

Count Iblis said:
I think one needs to have an unambiguous recipe to define what the "nontrivial structure content" is. My opinion is that one has to expand the function in a certain preferred basis to extract this.
There is no preferred basis in MWI.

Demystifier said:

Correct

It had recently hit me: while MWI is deterministic and objective, the 'Observer' is not defined in MWI objectively. Loss of realism we witness is not a result of the fact that nature is not realistic, but it is a projection of our own non-realism.

Take an observer Bob. Should we include his hair into the 'state of a system with microscopically many degrees of freedom'? What’s about molecules of H2O evaporating from his skin? A food inside his stomach? All these options give different 'preferred basis'

I would like to say that these bases are macroscopically consistent. Unfortunately it is difficult to define that consistency. It is not only branch-dependent, but branch is defined based on the decoherence, and decoherence uses basis.

Dmitry67 said:
Why perfectly symmetric initial conditions in MWI can not evolve into a symmetric superposition of assymetric states?

Take a box with 2 neutrons - one on the left and one on the right. The inital state is symmetric.
Now after a while left (or right) neutron decays.
in MWI it means that there are 2 branches (in fact there are much more branches) - left decayed first, right decayed first.
This is not symmetric enough, in the sense that there are MANY DIFFERENT initial states that may lead to branchings of this sort. This is in contrast with your idea that the structures should emerge from a UNIQUE (i.e., much more symmetric, like a ground state) initial condition.

Furthermore, if you allow such a smaller degree of symmetry of the initial condition, then BM can also describe structures.

To remind you, you have argued that MWI is better than MB because the former leads to structures with a very simple initial condition. What I am showing to you is that such an advantage of MWI over BM does not exist.

Demystifier said:
This is not symmetric enough, in the sense that there are MANY DIFFERENT initial states that may lead to branchings of this sort. This is in contrast with your idea that the structures should emerge from a UNIQUE (i.e., much more symmetric, like a ground state) initial condition.

I don't understand your logic.
I say that simple and SYMMETRIC conditions CAN produce the ASSYMETRIC state.
You say: there are MANY OTHER initial conditions which can produce the same ASSYMETRY.
I agree. So what?

Demystifier said:

What I mean is a basis in which the operators describing conscious experiences for some given observer is diagonal.

Dmitry67 said:
Correct

It had recently hit me: while MWI is deterministic and objective, the 'Observer' is not defined in MWI objectively. Loss of realism we witness is not a result of the fact that nature is not realistic, but it is a projection of our own non-realism.

Take an observer Bob. Should we include his hair into the 'state of a system with microscopically many degrees of freedom'? What’s about molecules of H2O evaporating from his skin? A food inside his stomach? All these options give different 'preferred basis'

I would like to say that these bases are macroscopically consistent. Unfortunately it is difficult to define that consistency. It is not only branch-dependent, but branch is defined based on the decoherence, and decoherence uses basis.

It is easier if you replace Bob by a classical computer that is assumed to be conscious and able to process information about the real world. Then it is very clear that what counts is (at most) the classical computational state of the computer that you can specify by a string of ones and zeroes.

Dmitry67 said:
You say: there are MANY OTHER initial conditions which can produce the same ASSYMETRY.
I agree. So what?
So you don't know what the initial condition is. So the creator of the universe had a lot of choice. So, contrary to your claim, MWI is not better than BM in this regard.