1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on palindromic primes

1. Sep 21, 2014 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

So just for fun, I decided to look for a list of palindromic primes, that is, primes that when in base 10 representation are the same whether backward or forward. 1003001, just to give an example. I quickly noticed something striking: Other than 11, every palindromic prime out of the first 100,000 primes had an odd number of digits! Naturally, I wondered just why this was, but not being a number theorist, I cannot for the life of me figure out why without help.

So with that, I must ask: Can you help me understand just why 4 and 6 digit palindromic numbers, as a rule, are composite? Does a reason even exist in the first place? And finally, can a proof be made to show that 11 is the only even-digited palindromic prime?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 21, 2014 #3

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Haha, whoops. Shame on me indeed. If I'm allowed an excuse, I'd like to put forth the one that says I'm on mobile.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook