1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question regarding a graduate school

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1
    Just a hypothetical question. If you undergrad and did the research that is published, how much does it significantly improves you chances of getting into graduate school.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2
    I think it pretty much guarantees.
  4. Sep 28, 2007 #3
    i highly doubt that. getting on a paper is not that difficult
  5. Sep 28, 2007 #4
    That means you are good :)
  6. Sep 29, 2007 #5
    Does it matter much if you're published in a field unrelated to your intended graduate field?

i.e. paper is on concrete creep testing, intending on doing thermal-fluids in grad school

sorry to commandeer the thread
  7. Sep 29, 2007 #6
    no it means i go to a research school
  8. Sep 29, 2007 #7
    Ok. Going to research school makes you good in research.
  9. Sep 29, 2007 #8
    No it does not, Timur. And it certainly does not guarantee acceptance!

Haplo and Ekrim, all research experience is beneficial for your grad school application, regardless of the area of research. If the area of research experience is the same as the area you intend to pursue, all the better, but doesn't hurt to have experience in other areas. As Ice said, it's not very difficult to get your name on a paper. If you're first author on the paper, that's a bit more impressive.

In short, I don't think there's a way to quantify how much it improves your chances of acceptance, if any. It never hurts, and it will most likely help by showing that a) you have some research experience and skills, b) you had the motivation to join and research project, and c) you possibly have some project leadership or technical writing experience.

Good luck with the application process!
  10. Sep 30, 2007 #9
    I disagree, I think if you did a good Honors Thesis type paper, it does improve your chances at grad school, it doesn't gurantee it by any means, but it certainly helps.
  11. Sep 30, 2007 #10
    The problem with most publications and honors thesis is that you have to submit your application to grad school before they are published or completed. Unless you took a break between senior year and grad school.
  12. Sep 30, 2007 #11
    Good point, but the person you are doing your Honors Thesis under will usually their letters in mid to late November, by that time they should have a good idea of how you are doing in your Honors Thesis. Believe me, just because there is no immediate payoff does not mean it's beneficial. Bottom line? You are better off with some sort of research paper than without.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?