A question regarding the B-V measurements of stars

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Rumor
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Measurements Stars
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Rumor
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
I've been looking up some information regarding the Owl Nebula, in order to make some calculations of my own. I've only been able to find the V magnitude or the general magnitude of the nebula as a whole. Is there any way to find the B magnitude or the B-V measurement of the star, given what data I might be able to scrounge up online?

Any help is appreciated.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Rumor said:
I've been looking up some information regarding the Owl Nebula, in order to make some calculations of my own. I've only been able to find the V magnitude or the general magnitude of the nebula as a whole. Is there any way to find the B magnitude or the B-V measurement of the star, given what data I might be able to scrounge up online?

Any help is appreciated.

B & V are different filters, with the difference of the two (B-V) being a measure of the redness of the object in question - thus red dwarfs have positive B-V values. Pick a star and generally there will be a B-V value for it somewhere in the data. There's also guides which explain and interconvert the different filter systems in use - confusingly, there are many!