1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A quick question about textbook quality

1. May 17, 2007 #1
    Why is that i always see and hear people complaining about textbooks? It is true that there are many bad textbooks but why do they buy them? Can't they read reviews or ask around like i do?

Also there are many good textbooks and as a self learner I think my opinion counts for something. A first course in general relativity, spacetime and geometry, introduction to topology, topology from a differentiable viewpoint etc.. are all very high quality.

Call me a cynic, but I'd have to say to most people whoa re constantly complaining must be lazy insoem sense(not to say that i'm a hard worker). What vexes me even more is that these people don't seem to care to go to their peers, or ask their profs for clarification. I'd KILL for that luxury.

Now i understand that some courses have bad textbooks but there are amny cheap reliable textbooks that you can find by asking professeurs... In many cases the good texts are cheaper than the expensive ones.

Anyway, I'm sorry for bothering you guys, but I just had to rant a little.

Oh and before you sya anything, I'm MISTER cynical.
    Last edited: May 17, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2007 #2
    You can pretty much learn anything you want by reading textbooks, journal articles etc, and it is in general a simply thing to do if you have all the time in the world.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?