A Rocket's Distance from the center of the moon

In summary, the projectile can reach a maximum distance of 1.672e6 meters from the center of the Moon.
gc33550

Homework Statement

The Moon has a mass of M= 7.0E22 kg and a radius of R=1.75E6 m. A projectile with
mass m=10 kg is shot straight up from the Moon’s surface with an initial speed of 500 m/s. What is the maximum distance from the center of the Moon that this projectile can reach?

Homework Equations

E_initial=E_final
Kinetic_initial=Grav_potential
.5mv^2=GMm/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Thinking through this I believe this is wrong, because essentially that is the equation for escape velocity. We don't know for sure that this rocket will escape... I am lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
Thinking through this I believe this is wrong, because essentially that is the equation for escape velocity. We don't know for sure that this rocket will escape... I am lost...

It is true for any velocity. Calculate r.

I didn't get the right answer...

Show your calculations.

r=(2GM)/v^2 is what i believe I worked it out to so

r=(2*6.7E-11*7E20)/500^2

r=3.752E5

According to the answer key it is supposed to be 1.84E6

So is there something I am missing I thought a simple energy conservation would cover it

Use the equation :

K+U = K_o+U_o

where K could be 1/2mv^2
and U = -GMm/r

tnutty said:
Use the equation :

K+U = K_o+U_o

where K could be 1/2mv^2
and U = -GMm/r

I am assuming that there is no kinetic in my final state because the rocket doesn't have enough velocity to escape according to sqrt(2GM/r) so then:

(GMm/r_final)=.5mv^2+GMm/r_initial

r=GMm/(.5mv^2+(GMm/r_initial))

r= 6.7E-11*7E22*10/(.5*10*500^2+((6.7E-11*7E22*10)/1.75E6))

r=1.672e6
I still don't get the correct answer

here :

-GMm/ r =1/2m*v^2 - GMm/R_e

r = (1/R_e - v^2 / (2*G*M_e ) ^-1

r = 1.84E^6

Could I get a short explanation on that? I don't follow your variables

gc33550 said:
Could I get a short explanation on that? I don't follow your variables

r=(-2*M_e*G*R_e)/(v^2*R_e-2*G*M_e)

r=(-2*7e22*6.7e-11*1.75e6)?(500^2*1.75e6-2*6.7e-11*7e22)

r=1.84e6

Good luck with your test today, I've been up all night studying for it, hope this helps!

Maybe my brain is physics fried haha But which Variables need to be negative and why? Is it both potentials? I thought the would have positive potential energy or is it the fact that it is in the negative direction? Oh boy I am going to fail haha

tnutty said:
Use the equation :

K+U = K_o+U_o

where K could be 1/2mv^2
and U = -GMm/r

Use exactly what tnutty has written here for positive and negative values.

Dont worry about the final, I don't know if anyone is going to do well on it, its bad if I am aiming for a 50% on it...

But which Variables need to be negative and why? Is it both potentials? I thought the would have positive potential energy or is it the fact that it is in the negative direction?
The gravitational potential expression is

PE = -GM/r

So for your problem they would both carry a negative sign.

I also have my final today. Your's not with jones is it?

Jones? I go to Purdue

By the way I got it thanks guys... Those negative signs will get you every time haha

NO problem

1. How is the distance of a rocket from the center of the moon measured?

The distance of a rocket from the center of the moon is measured using a variety of methods, including radar, laser ranging, and radio signals. These methods use the time it takes for a signal to travel from the rocket to the moon and back to calculate the distance.

2. What is the average distance from the center of the moon that a rocket can travel?

The average distance from the center of the moon that a rocket can travel depends on various factors such as the type of rocket, its propulsion system, and the intended destination on the moon. However, most rockets can travel up to a few thousand kilometers from the center of the moon.

3. Can a rocket reach the exact center of the moon?

No, a rocket cannot reach the exact center of the moon. The center of the moon is a point in space, and it is impossible for a physical object like a rocket to occupy a single point in space. However, a rocket can get very close to the center of the moon, within a few kilometers.

4. How does the distance from the center of the moon affect a rocket's trajectory?

The distance from the center of the moon has a significant impact on a rocket's trajectory. The closer a rocket is to the center of the moon, the stronger the gravitational pull, which can affect the rocket's speed and direction. Therefore, a rocket's trajectory is constantly adjusted to maintain a safe distance from the moon's center.

5. What is the significance of knowing a rocket's distance from the center of the moon?

Knowing a rocket's distance from the center of the moon is crucial for successful space missions. It helps scientists and engineers monitor the rocket's trajectory and make necessary adjustments, as well as calculate fuel usage and determine the rocket's position relative to its destination on the moon.