A 'simple' vector problem - where a line meets a plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the point of intersection between a line and a plane. The line is defined by a point and a unit vector representing its direction, and the plane is defined by a point and a normal vector. The dot product is used to determine when two vectors are perpendicular, and this is crucial in solving for the point of intersection. The final formula for d is presented, and it is suggested to divide the dot product of the normal vector and the difference between the points by the dot product of the normal vector and the line vector to solve for d.
Snoopey
Hi all,
I am a little stuck on a problem I'm trying to solve for something I'm programming.
I'm trying to find the point at which a line meets a plane.

The line is defined as [itex]\vec{x} = \vec{a}+d\vec{l}[/itex]
where [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] is a point on the line, [itex]\vec{l}[/itex] is a unit vector defining the direction of the line and d is the distance along the line.

The plane is defined using a point [itex]\vec{x_{0}}[/itex] and normal [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] as [itex]\vec{n}.\left(\vec{x}-\vec{x_{0}}\right)=0[/itex]

I want to sub in my line equation into my plane equation and solve for [itex]d[/itex] to get [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] but my vector algebra is very rusty and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my [itex]d[/itex] out.

The funny thing is I used a similar method to find where a line intersects a sphere with equation [itex]\left|\vec{x}-\vec{c}\right|^{2}=R^{2}[/itex] ([itex]\vec{c}[/itex] = centre, [itex]R[/itex] = radius) and subbed in no problems. But that dot product in the plane equation is just confusing me.

Has anyone got any suggestions for me to follow?
Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Two vectors are perpendicular if and only if their dot product is 0. If x and x0 are both points in the plane, then the vector x- x0 lies in the plane so the dot product is just saying that the normal, n and the vector x- x0 are perpendicular- which is the definition of "normal vector"!) Suppose the normal vector, n, is given by <A, B, C>, the generic point x by (x, y, z), and the point x[sub0[/sub by <x0, y0, z0>. Then x- x0 is <x- x0, y- y0, z- z0> so the dot product is A(x- x0)+ B(y- y0), C(z- z0)= 0.

Now suppose [itex]\vec{a}= <a_1, a_2, a_3>[/itex] and [itex]\vec{l}= <l_1, l_2, l_3>[/itex] so that the line [itex]\vec{x}= <a_1, a_2, a_3>+ d<l_1, l_2, l_3>= <a_1+ dl_1, a_2+ dl_2, a_3+ dl_3>[/itex]. Okay, put those components in for x, y, and z in the equation of the plane: [itex]A(a_1+ dl_1x_0)+ B(a_2+ dl_2y_0)+ C(a_3+ dl_3z_0)= 0[/itex]

Multiplying that out, [itex]Aa_1+ Adl_1x_0+ Ba_2+ Bdl_2y_0+ Ca_3+ Cdl_3z_0= 0[/itex]

Moving everything that does not involve "d" to the right, and factoring d out,
[itex](Al_1x_0+ Bl_2y_0+ Cl_3z_0)d= -(Aa_1+ Ba_2+ Ca_3)[/itex]

Now, of course, divide both sides by [itex](Al_1x_0+ Bl_2y_0+ Cl_3z_0)[/itex] to solve for d.

Finally, put that value of d int0 the formula for the line to determine the point of intersection.

Brilliant! Thank you for this, not sure why I didn't think of splitting into the different compenents :)

edit: For anyone interested I simplified the end result into

[itex]d= \frac{\vec{n}.(\vec{x_{0}}-\vec{a})}{\vec{n}.\vec{l}}[/itex]

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size or length) and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with its length representing the magnitude.

2. How is a line defined in terms of vectors?

A line can be defined using a vector by specifying a point on the line and the direction of the line. This direction can be represented by a vector parallel to the line.

3. What is a plane?

A plane is a two-dimensional surface that extends infinitely in all directions. It can be defined by specifying three non-collinear points on the plane or by using a normal vector perpendicular to the plane.

4. How do you find the point of intersection between a line and a plane?

To find the point of intersection between a line and a plane, you can set up a system of equations using the parametric equations of the line and the equation of the plane. The solution to this system will give you the coordinates of the point of intersection.

5. Can a line and a plane be parallel?

Yes, it is possible for a line and a plane to be parallel. This means that they will never intersect and will have the same direction or normal vector.