A spherically symmetrc attractive potential

• Thread starter anjor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of substitution and separation of variables to solve the Schrodinger equation for a spherically symmetric attractive potential. After obtaining the radial differential equation in U, the conversation mentions the need to apply boundary conditions and provides hints for solving the equation.
anjor
Given a spherically symmetric attractive potential of the form V(r) = -V * e^(-r/a)
To solve the schroedinger equation and obtain the quantization condition for the energy eigenvalues.
Hint : - Use the Substitution x = e ^ (-r/2a)

I did the usual separation of variables psi = R * spherical harmonics
Also i substituted R = U/r and got the radial differential equation in U.
But now, I am stuck.. I know the asymptotic behavior of U. U tends to 0 as r goes to 0. As r tends to infinity, for bound state U will go as e ^ (-kr)
But i don't know what to do next... pls help.
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
After you do the substitiution, you should get a second order differential equation of U with respect to r.
i.e

[tex] \frac{d^2u}{dr^2} = f(r,V(r)) [/tex]

Integrate the equation twice and apply the boundary condition, you will get U... becareful about the boundary condition...
Hint: What is the value of dU/dr as r goes to infinity? How about r=0?

Last edited:

1. What is a spherically symmetrical attractive potential?

A spherically symmetrical attractive potential is a type of potential energy field that is uniform in all directions around a central point. This means that the potential energy at any point in the field is only dependent on the distance from the center, not the direction.

2. How is a spherically symmetrical attractive potential different from other potential fields?

Unlike other potential fields, a spherically symmetrical attractive potential has the same magnitude and direction at any point on a spherical surface around the central point. This is because the potential is only dependent on the distance from the center, not the direction.

3. What types of forces can be described by a spherically symmetrical attractive potential?

A spherically symmetrical attractive potential can describe forces such as gravity, electrostatic attraction, and certain types of nuclear forces. These forces follow an inverse square law, where the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center.

4. How is a spherically symmetrical attractive potential used in scientific research?

A spherically symmetrical attractive potential is used in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and astronomy. It is commonly used to model and understand the behavior of particles and objects under the influence of a central force, such as the motion of planets around a star or the behavior of atoms in a molecule.

5. Are there any real-life examples of a spherically symmetrical attractive potential?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of a spherically symmetrical attractive potential. One example is the Earth's gravitational field, which is approximately spherically symmetrical around its center. Another example is the electrostatic field around a charged sphere, which is also spherically symmetrical. Additionally, the behavior of atomic nuclei and subatomic particles can be described by a spherically symmetrical attractive potential.