Weakly interacting Bosons in a 3D harmonic oscillator

In summary, the given conversation discusses the use of the Thomas-Fermi approximation for finding the number of bosons in a system, and specifically focuses on the calculation of the chemical potential. It is noted that the chemical potential should follow a power law of ##N^\frac{2}{5}##, and there may have been a missing step in the original calculation. The solution is to set the density to 0 for all ##r > R##, where ##R## is the radius of the atom cloud obtained by solving ##V(R) = \mu##. This results in smoother corners and a more accurate representation of the system.
rmiller70015
Homework Statement
N identical, weakly interacting bosons are trapped in a 3-dimensional harmonic oscillator. Use the Gross-Pitaevskii equation and N = large to find the chemical potential as a function of the number of bosons.
Relevant Equations
##V(r) = \frac{1}{2}m\omega ^2 r^2##
GP: ##[-\frac{\bar{h}^2 \nabla ^2}{2m} - \mu + V(r) + U|\Psi (r)|^2]\Psi (r) = 0###
1. Since N is large, ignore the kinetic energy term.
##[-\mu + V(r) + U|\Psi (r)|^2]\Psi (r) = 0##

2. Solve for the density ##|\Psi (r)|^2##
##|\Psi (r)|^2 = \frac{\mu - V(r)}{U}##

3. Integrate density times volume to get number of bosons
##\int|\Psi (r)|^2 d\tau = \int \frac{\mu - V(r)}{U}d\tau###
## = \frac{4\pi}{U} \int_0^r \mu \rho ^2 - \frac{1}{2}m\omega ^2 \rho ^4 d\rho## where ##\rho## is a dummy variable for integration
## N = \frac{4\pi}{U}( \frac{1}{3}\mu r^3 - \frac{1}{10}V(r)r^3 )##4. Solve for ##\mu##
##\mu = \frac{3NU}{4\pi r^3} - \frac{3}{10}V(r)##

The problem is that my professor said that chemical potential should go like ##N^\frac{2}{5}## or something like that. So I am concerned that I didn't do something correctly. She also recalls things from memory incorrectly a lot of the time so I may actually be correct. I would just like a second opinion.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rmiller70015 said:
The problem is that my professor said that chemical potential should go like ##N^{\frac{2}{5}}## or something like that.
It does.

Notice that your chemical potential is a function of r. You're missing a step. Think about the limits of integration in the normalization condition. Where should you stop integrating the density?

Twigg said:
It does.

Notice that your chemical potential is a function of r. You're missing a step. Think about the limits of integration in the normalization condition. Where should you stop integrating the density?
I found a paper that does this in 1-dimensions and I can kind of expand that to 3-dimensions, but they integrate between ##\pm \sqrt{\mu}##. Is this because at ##\sqrt{\mu}## you have a density that drops below the level where you can still be in the Thomas-Fermi regime and the kinetic energy term is no longer negligible?

rmiller70015 said:
Is this because at you have a density that drops below the level where you can still be in the Thomas-Fermi regime and the kinetic energy term is no longer negligible?
You're on the right track, but no.

The density you got was $$n(r) = \frac{\mu - V(r)}{U} = \frac{\mu}{U} - \left( \frac{\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2}{U} \right) r^2 $$ Try plotting this density vs r for ##\frac{\mu}{U} = 1## and ##\left( \frac{\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2}{U} \right) = 2## (I made up random numbers, but you'll see what I mean pretty quickly.) Notice anything funky?

I think the OP is gone, but here's the solution for anyone browsing this thread.

If you look at the density obtained from the Thomas-Fermi approximation, it eventually goes negative when ##V(r) > \mu##. The missing step was to set the density to 0 for all ##r > R## wgere ##R## is the radius of the atom cloud obtained by solving ##V(R) = \mu##.

In reality, these corners are smoothed out by the kinetic energy Hamiltonian as the density approaches 0, so there are no cusps. But for high average density, these corners are small in extent.

1. What are weakly interacting bosons?

Weakly interacting bosons are a type of subatomic particle that have an integer spin and obey Bose-Einstein statistics. They are responsible for mediating weak nuclear forces and are found in the nucleus of atoms.

2. What is a 3D harmonic oscillator?

A 3D harmonic oscillator is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior of a particle that is confined in a three-dimensional potential well. It is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the particle from its equilibrium position.

3. How do weakly interacting bosons behave in a 3D harmonic oscillator?

In a 3D harmonic oscillator, weakly interacting bosons exhibit a specific energy spectrum known as the Bose-Einstein condensate. This occurs when a large number of bosons occupy the lowest energy state, resulting in a macroscopic quantum state with unique properties.

4. What are some applications of studying weakly interacting bosons in a 3D harmonic oscillator?

Studying weakly interacting bosons in a 3D harmonic oscillator has applications in fields such as condensed matter physics, quantum computing, and atomic and molecular physics. It can also help in understanding the behavior of superfluids and superconductors.

5. How do scientists study weakly interacting bosons in a 3D harmonic oscillator?

Scientists use various theoretical and experimental techniques to study weakly interacting bosons in a 3D harmonic oscillator. These include mathematical models, computer simulations, and experiments using lasers and other sophisticated equipment.