1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A tractable Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    1. Let A and B be two matrices, and [itex]\lambda[/itex] be a continuous parameter.

2. Now, define a function [itex]f(\lambda) \equiv e^{\lambda A}e^{\lambda B}[/itex]. We need to show that [itex]\frac{df}{d\lambda} = \left\{A + B + \frac{\lambda}{1!}[A, B] + \frac{\lambda^2}{2!}[A, [A, B]] + ... \right \}f[/itex]

Once this is shown, setting [itex]\lambda = 1[/itex], and [itex][A, [A, B]] = [B, [A, B]] = 0[/itex] gives us a Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula.

3. I had shown this result quite a while ago, but now I have forgotten completely what I had done. This time, I tried differentiating [itex]f(\lambda)[/itex] w.r.t the argument, and then using the commutation was able to get the first two terms on the R.H.S., but thereafter I got stuck. The very minimal hint would be all that I need.

Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2011 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Without seeing your exact steps I can't say much, but you may need to expand out an exponential or two and work out some commutators term-by-term.

4. Aug 28, 2011 #3
    I solved it. Thanks anyway!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook