1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent vectors in the coordinate basis

1. Apr 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In Euclidean three-space, let ##p## be the point with coordinates ##(x,y,z)=(1,0,-1)##. Consider the following curves that pass through ##p##:

##x^{i}(\lambda)=(\lambda , (\lambda -1)^{2}, -\lambda)##
    ##x^{i}(\mu)=(\text{cos}\ \mu , \text{sin}\ \mu , \mu - 1)##
    ##x^{i}(\sigma)=(\sigma^{2} , \sigma^{3}+\sigma^{2} , \sigma )##

(a) Calculate the components of the tangent vectors to these curves at ##p## in the coordinate basis ##\{\partial_{x},\partial_{y},\partial_{z}\}##.

(b) Let ##f=x^{2}+y^{2}-yz##. Calculate ##\frac{df}{d\lambda}, \frac{df}{d\mu}## and ##\frac{df}{d\sigma}##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My understanding of the concept of tangent vectors and coordinate basis is a little shaky.

I understand that, for a function ##f=f(x^{i}(\lambda))##, the tangent vector is ##\frac{df}{d\lambda}=\frac{dx^{i}}{d\lambda}\frac{df}{dx^{i}}=\frac{dx^{i}}{d\lambda}\partial_{i}f##, where the set of ##\frac{dx^{i}}{d\lambda}## are the components of the tangent vector and the set of ##\partial_{i}## is called the coordinate basis.

I wonder why ##\frac{df}{d\lambda}## is called the tangent vector. Is it because ##\frac{df}{d\lambda}## points along the tangent to the curve ##f(\lambda)##?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2016 #2
    In the first case, write:

$$x^1(\lambda)=x=\lambda$$
    $$x^2(\lambda)=y=(\lambda-1)^2$$
    $$x^3(\lambda)=z=-\lambda$$
    In terms of ##\lambda## and ## d\lambda##, what are dx1, dx2, and dx3 along the curve? In terms of the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions, what is the tangent vector to the curve? In this coordinate system, the coordinate basis vectors are equal to the unit vectors.

4. Apr 29, 2016 #3
    In terms of ##\lambda## and ##d\lambda##, ##dx^{1}=d\lambda##, ##dx^{2}=2(\lambda -1)d\lambda## and ##dx^{3}=-d\lambda##.

In terms of the unit vectors in the ##x##, ##y##, and ##z## directions, the tangent vector to the curve is ##(1, 2(\lambda - 1), -1)##.

I don't really see how, in the ##xyz##-coordinate system, the coordinate basis vectors are equal to the unit vectors.

5. Apr 29, 2016 #4
    At the point P, ##\lambda =1##. So....?
    In ##xyz##, system, a position vector from the origin to an arbitrary point is:
    ##\vec{s}=x\vec{i}_x+y\vec{i}_y+z\vec{i}_z=x^1\vec{i}_1+x^2\vec{i}_2+x^3\vec{i}_3##
    So, what are the partial derivatives of ##\vec{s}## with respect to each of the three coordinates?

6. Apr 29, 2016 #5
    At the point ##p##, ##\lambda =1## so that the tangent vector to the curve at ##p## is ##(1,0,-1)##.

##\partial_{1}\vec{s} = \vec{i}_{1}##, ##\partial_{2}\vec{s} = \vec{i}_{2}## and ##\partial_{3}\vec{s} = \vec{i}_{3}##.

How might this help?

7. Apr 29, 2016 #6
    The partial derivatives of the position vector with respect to the coordinates are the definition of the coordinate basis vectors. So, the tangent vector is expressible as: $$\vec{t}=+1\vec{i}_1-1\vec{i}_3$$. At least this is the kind of notation I was taught when I was learning this stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted