1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A tricky remainder theorem problem

1. Jun 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A polynomial P(x) is divided by (x-1), and gives a remainder of 1. When P(x) is divided by (x+1), it gives a remainder of 3. Find the remainder when P(x) is divided by (x^2 - 1)

2. Relevant equations
    Remainder theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that

P(x) = (x-1)A(x) + 1
    and P(x) = (x+1)B(x) + 3

But how would I relate to (x^2 -1)? I can multiply the two equations together to get (x^2 -1) but things get pretty messy.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2016 #2
    From your two equations we know P(1) = 1 and P(-1) = 3 . Since the divisor in question ([itex]x^2 - 1[/itex]) the remainder has degree < divisor i.e it is linear. Let it be Kx + L. The we get an equation [tex] P(x) = (x^2 - 1)f(x) + Kx + L [/tex] . Try to proceed from here.

4. Jun 13, 2016 #3
    Why is the remainder is a linear expression? I can't catch your explanation.

5. Jun 13, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The remainder in ##a(x)/b(x)## is a polynomial ##r(x)## of degree strictly less than the degree of ##b(x)##. Basically, that is the _definition_ of "remainder".

6. Jun 13, 2016 #5
    So that means if a polynomial P(x) is divided by a quadratic polynomial, then the remainder is a linear expression.

7. Jun 13, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Go back and read post #2 again, then read your question in post #3.

8. Jun 13, 2016 #7
    So it has something to do with the divisor right?

9. Jun 13, 2016 #8

rcgldr

Homework Helper

To refresh the idea of the remainder theorem, take a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynomial_remainder_theorem

In this case you have P(1) = 1 (since P(x)/(x-1) has remainder 1), P(-1) = 3 (since P(x)/(x+1) has remainder 3). Can you think of a minimum degree P(x) that produces these results?

10. Jun 13, 2016 #9
    A cubic polynomial?

11. Jun 13, 2016 #10

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Ignore the fact that you will be looking for P(x) / (x^2-1). Can you think of a minimum degree polynomial P(x) such that P(-1) = 1 and P(1) = 3?

12. Jun 13, 2016 #11
    Degree 3?

13. Jun 13, 2016 #12

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Looking for a minimal degree for P(x). Start off with degree 1, is there a P(x) of degree 1 (ax + b) such that P(-1) = 1 and P(1) = 3? If not, try degree 2, and if not, try degree 3.

14. Jun 13, 2016 #13
    Yup it appears that degree one works as well...

15. Jun 13, 2016 #14

rcgldr

Homework Helper

So what is that equation for P(x) of degree 1 and what is the remainder of P(x) / (x^2-1) ?

16. Jun 13, 2016 #15
    ax+b, and I managed to solve it as (2-x).

17. Jun 13, 2016 #16

rcgldr

Homework Helper

To follow up, this would mean that a general equation for P(x) = Q(x)(x-1)(x+1) - x + 2, where Q(x) can be any function of x, including Q(x) = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted